Great Dane Needs to Gain Weight

Category Health
Sad looking Great Dane rests heads on paws with food dishes in the background
This is a guide about great dane needs to gain weight. Food choices, general health, and the breed of the dog can affect their weight management.

We have a German Shepherd called Tia who is 1 year old. We rescued Tia when she was around 5 months old. She had a terrible start to life and was badly mistreated.

Tia is also very skinny, showing her ribs and backbone even though she is extremely fit. We have visited the vets on numerous occasions, having blood tests done and she is now being treated for EPI (even though the tests were inconclusive). Her poo samples have improved (less smelly, better consistency, and normal in colour) but there isn't much change to her weight. Any advice will be grateful.

Many thanks.
Diane H

Best Answer

"Satin Ball" recipe for dogs who won't eat

This recipe is for dogs who desperately need calories and need to put on weight, but who have no appetite. It sounds yucky, but when these are done they are really appealing, even to me.

In my experience, this is a kind of "last resort and hope" food that many sick dogs will eat.

Mix all ingredients (like meatballs). I shape them like thick hamburgers rather than balls because they store easier in the freezer and thaw faster. Freeze in serving portion size. Nothing is cooked -- all ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

This recipe for Little Dogs (1/10 of full recipe) would be a good test to see if your dog will eat them before you make the substantial investment in ingredients of the half or full size recipe. See Notes below about the Total cereal, oats, wheat germ and vegetable oil.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal

1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 Tablespoons wheat germ

1 package Knox unflavored gelatin

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

2 Tablespoons unsulphered molasses

Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Half Recipe -- recommended amount to mix up

5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)

1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)

5 raw eggs

1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)

5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)

5/8 cup unsulphered molasses

pinch of salt

The half recipe, using hamburger that is 20% fat calories, has 12,400 calories. The last batch I made ended up making 22 patties, so each has about 560 calories. I have big dogs (Danes) so if your dog is smaller you might want to make your Satin Balls or patties smaller.

I find that making the half recipe is so much easier that it is worth doing even though you have half-boxes of things around for awhile and have to mix it up twice as often. The disadvantage of the full recipe is the need of a really BIG container and it is very hard work to mix it all up.

Satin Balls Full Recipe

10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)

1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)

1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)

10 raw eggs

1 15oz jar wheat germ

10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 and 1/4 cup unsulphered molasses

pinch of salt

Notes:

"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb Total.

Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats).

15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it.

Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use grapeseed oil, olive oil would be next best.

Tip: I don't break the eggs directly into the pot of stuff. The first time I broke the eggs into a separate little bowl for some reason. One of the eggs was bad and it would have ruined the whole pot of stuff. I had never seen an egg like that and had no reason to expect it, but I never break eggs directly into anything anymore.

The Satin Ball patties were what Duke started eating when he wouldn't eat anything at all after his torsion surgery. He still gets one a day.

It is important to stick to the proportions. I gave the recipe to someone whose dog wouldn't eat, she told me she made them but he wouldn't eat them. Then she told me what she did to the recipe, changing it so much that it ended up something entirely different (no wonder her dog wouldn't eat it). You need to follow the recipe carefully if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of making it.

Best Answer

I am an ICU vet nurse. Is your dog spayed? You don't need dog food recipes ... you need to see a veterinarian if you haven't. And if you have and they don't know what to do - then you need to see a specialist (like an internal medicine doctor). You should be feeding a high quality dog food not food store foods. Good luck, let me know if you have questions!

Best Answer

Sounds like parasitism to me, see your vet. Call your local animal shelter if you have trouble affording the vet.

What should I feed my Great Dane for weight gain?

Cindy from Spokane, WA

Feedback:

RE: Great Dane Needs to Gain Weight

When I bought my Great Dane from an excellent breeder, he told me how important it was that the dog gets his proper food.

When they reach about 2 years of age they can eat 15 pounds of food. The breeder told me not to feed the dog just dog food, that much could burn his stomach. The dog needs good meat, well cooked with pasta or rice and some carrots.

So, I cooked a big pot of lean beef for my Great Dane. He ate mostly my home cooking. He was very healthy and his weight was just right. He looked outstanding!

I know it's like cooking for another person, but this is what a Great Dane needs. Dog food alone, won't give you good results. (02/13/2009)

By Daisy R.

RE: Great Dane Needs to Gain Weight

When my babies were little, my pediatrician had me give them a little cream (heavy whipping cream in the little cartons). If you don't overdue it (which may give the dog diarrhea) it may help. Add some cream to his food and see how he does. (02/13/2009)

By kmcb59

RE: Great Dane Needs to Gain Weight

When I was young we got a Shepherd from the pound. My mom fattened him up by feeding him cream of wheat in the mornings, then regular dog food the rest of the day. She would put sugar, butter and milk just like us kids ate. (02/14/2009)

By Karen, Green Cove Springs Fl

RE: Great Dane Needs to Gain Weight

The best thing you can do for a large breed such as our Mastiff or your Dane is to put them strictly on a high quality, high protein dog food.

Two really good dog foods are Merick brand and Eagle Pack brand. They are the highest quality proper formula for large breed and giant breed dogs. We feed Eagle and I praise it.

Big difference in fur, poo, and energy levels in our dogs. We know a lot of people who use it, as well as our breeder.

Also, remember that you don't want your dog to become fat or gain weight at a speed that is dangerous for its health. These dogs grow at a fast pace but take a while to gain their thickness. (02/16/2009)

By Chandra