Greeting Card Alternatives

Category Cards
Greeting cards with bows
There are many occasions when traditionally we would send a greeting card to friends and family. There are, however, some different and creative ways to convey our sentiments. This is a guide about greeting card alternatives.

For the last few years I have made a $100 donation to the National Arbor Day Foundation to help restore the rain forest in Central America, instead of sending out Christmas cards to my selected 100 people. This usually costs me $1 per person plus postage if any, and more than half of these go to people at my work. I made up postcards that read:

"Merry Christmas!
In your honor, 250 square feet of rain forest will be restored in Central America by the National Arbor Day Foundation."

I've discovered that people are more delighted with this simple gift than they are with a plain card, candy or trinket. I then started making a monthly donation to NADF to replant trees in fire-ravaged forests and sending out a postcard to my birthday recipients that reads:

"Happy Birthday! In honor of your birthday, a tree will be planted in a fire-ravaged forest by the National Arbor Day Foundation."

This too has been a popular gift. Each one (birthday and Christmas) only costs me a dollar per person, plus postage and printing on recycled card stock from my computer, and I've made a donation to a eco-friendly charitable organization!

Happy Yule!

Use clip art that you can snag on the Internet and save to a 3-1/2" floppy file, for later use. Look at some old greeting cards for verses and email your personal greeting card messages to friends.

Tip: You must have your computer set to "rich text HTML" ... "plain text" will not work for sending graphics. You can center your picture and message and also change printing to different colors and size using "rich text HTML". Before sending to friend, send it to yourself to see how it turns out ... you can then check it before sending it to your friend so there are no mistakes.

For those that may not know ... when you see a picture, right click on the picture and when the menu drops down, click "save picture as" and give it a name and save to your 3-1/2 floppy file. When you want to use a picture, retrieve it by clicking on the saved picture and go to "edit", click on "select all" and then go back and click "copy" Then all you have to do is open your email browser and "create mail" and paste the picture in the email. Add your message and send, this does not create an attachment to your email Most people do not open attachments anymore!

By Syd

Looking through crafts, I found an article about making seed paper by Ellen Brown. I am going to try this, but want to know how to put a greeting on the front of the card?

Barb from NY

It would be really easy and look very nice if you printed the greeting on a piece of vellum paper slightly smaller then the card and affixed it with a piece of ribbon. A co-worker did this with her plantable wedding invitations and it turned out beautifully.

It would be really easy and look very nice if you printed the greeting on a piece of vellum paper slightly smaller then the card and affixed it with a piece of ribbon

*****************************************************

Thanks for this idea. I really like it and will try it.

Barb

You are very welcome. You should post pics when you get them finished. =)

The other ideas are better, but I was thinking you could also rubber stamp your card.

I would love to get a seed paper card. What a great idea.

I was thinking you could also rubber stamp your card. I can't believe I didn't think of this. I just joined a stamping class. I'll try both ideas. Thanks for posting this. I love this site and the people on it.

Barb

I've seen that paper online too ! That's very cute!

here are some free printable quotes to use with your cards : http://www.goog  le+craft+quotes+