Grocery Shopping Strategies

couple reading canned food label at the market
Whether your goal is saving time or money, there are a number of strategies that can improve your grocery shopping experience. This is a guide about grocery shopping strategies.

I find I save the most money on groceries with the following ideas:

• I live by three different grocery stores so I check the front and back of each flyer every week. That is where they list their hook sales, sometimes incredibly good deals to attract you in to their store. I make a list of the three stores and their best deals for items I would be interested in. I shop for those items while I do my shopping from my shopping list that week.

I don't believe in stocking up on sale items too much, since I learned from a supermarket chain that most sales run on a 3-4 week cycle, so the sale will return again. Of course if it's fresh, seasonal food, that may be an exception. You need to be prepared to freeze, dehydrate or preserve extra if you buy fresh in bulk!

• Crockpots do wonders in tenderizing meat and are great to use regularly while you are at work, so you don't end up buying more expensive take-out food just because you are tired and hungry at the end of the day. It's like having someone home cooking for you. Use it! It's great for softening dried beans, which are cheaper and fresher than canned beans too.

• I buy bulk sale meat and ask my butcher to cut it up into our family sized portions to save time and packing materials, while getting a cheaper per lb. price.

• Since we don't eat out at restaurants much, when I go shopping (if they are on sale), I treat myself and our family to a store purchased fully cooked rotisserie chicken on grocery shopping day. At $3.99, I cannot buy a fresh whole chicken and cook it for less. It's a great value! I can pick up a salad or bag of veggies, cranberry sauce, instant potatoes (or canned yams) or a package of stuffing to add to it, if I want. I have an easy, hot and delicious dinner after a day out shopping.

It's my personal treat on shopping day. Sometimes I buy a few whole rotisserie chickens and freeze them right in their containers for future quick, inexpensive meals! I place them in a pan in a low oven for a while and they are great. Good cold too.

• We eat smaller portions of meat and larger portions of veggies as we grow older and I find that we don't miss it and feel lighter as a result.

These are just a few hints of a veteran grocery shopper and chef. ; )

Here are some of my best tips for saving money.

Same Active Ingredients In The Same Amounts

I recently got some generic Excedrin caplets, 200 for $4. This is much cheaper than regular Excedrin. The generic has the same active ingredients in the same amounts, in caplet form. So why do people still buy name brands like Excedrin? Because they've been trained by the packaging and advertisements to believe that the "real thing" or "original" works better. It doesn't.

Only Buy What You Use

I know this seems obvious, but how many times have you bought something on sale just because it's a really good deal? You think, "I'll find a way to use this," but it's more likely to sit in your pantry until it's past the date. I agree that 35 cents is a good deal on canned peas, for instance, but if nobody in your family likes peas, you'd be better off putting the money toward something everyone likes.

When To Buy Multiples

There's usually no use having more than a month's worth of supplies on hand. An exception is when you're getting a much better deal for buying multiple packages at once. This should be something that will definitely keep until youse it, like pasta or shampoo. I've found, for instance, that buying a 4-pack of split peas or a 5-pack of my favorite pasta gets me a bigger savings than buying just one or two, especially when I get free shipping online. And I know they'll keep until I need them.

When To Buy In Bulk

It may seem like a good deal when you buy snacks in a huge container at a warehouse club for up to 25 percent off. But think about it; if you have that much, you'll eat it, and much more quickly than if you had only bought a little every couple of weeks. If your family is trending toward overweight or even obese, ask yourself if this is really such a good deal.

Better things to buy in bulk are toilet paper, paper towels, zipper bags, dish soap, and other household items.

This is a guide about feeding your family for less. The food costs for feeding a family can be a strain on many budgets.

A boy waiting for dinner with an empty plate.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes