Groom's Dinner Ideas

A supper held before the wedding is usually the responsibility of the groom's family. This guide contains groom's dinner ideas.

Groom's Dinner Ideas

January 2, 2010 Flag

I am the mother of the Groom. The wedding is in August, 2010. I don't have a clue. The Bride says I am responsible for the rehearsal dinner. My sister asked what the plans are for the Groom's dinner. Are these the same thing?

By Lynn from St. Paul, MN

Same here. Never heard of a groom's dinner. She is probably referring to the rehearsal dinner, which the groom's family is responsible for. This can be done any way you, your family and the couple want to do it.

Some people choose to take everyone in the wedding party and their significant others out to a restaurant. Of course, that can be really pricey; it just depends on what you decide to do. Others choose to have a BBQ in someone's back yard. Here in Louisiana, many choose to cook a large pot of jambalaya, serve it with white beans and a green salad and finish it off with a cake or pie.

The object of the dinner is for all involved in the wedding to get together and get to know each other a little better after the wedding rehearsal, which is, of course, the night before the wedding.

Maybe your sister is confused because there is such a thing as a Groom's Cake (not every wedding has one). But there's no celebration to honor the groom. Except the Bachelor Party, if there's going to be one of those!

The Wedding Rehearsal Dinner is for the Groom's side of the family to pay for. This is usually the only thing that the Groom is responsible for except getting his tux and getting his groomsmen fitted for their tux. My daughter is getting married in May 2010 so I know what needs to be done.

But if he wants to do other things as well, sure he can do that.

Never heard of a Groom's Dinner. I had two sons to marry and we were responsible for the rehearsal dinner for both weddings. For the first wedding we were asked to pay for the Bride's bouquet and the groomsmen flowers. We rented a small restaurant which provided the meal, beer, wine and decorated the tables for one very reasonable price. The second wedding was more elaborate and held in an upscale restaurant. We provided matching ties for all the groomsmen, father and brother of the bride. I usually responded based on the bride's wishes. My friends' advice to me was "keep your mouth shut and wear beige" . I didn't wear beige but I always kept the bride's and my son's wishes in the forefront. Two beautiful weddings.

December 17, 2008 Flag

Our son is getting married next Fall and does not have a clue what kind of Groom's/Rehearsal dinner. I need ideas for decorations. Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks much!
Cynthia from St.Paul, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If its a fall wedding, take small carving pumpkins and hollow them out, fill with water and float a brown or rust colored floating candle, add a leaf garland around the base.... super cheap and easy!

I think it would be important to know a little about your son, his friends and the venue for said dinner. Does he play a sport? Does he like boats? Some of the best decor is the kind that showcases a life or a personality. The kind of room guests will walk into and say " Wow, this is sooo ( your son's name)", makes it that much more familiar yet unforgetable. Good luck.

Weddings PlanningMay 16, 2013
tissue paper rainbow rose
Rainbow Dinner Decoration Ideas
Making a Fabric Dinner Roll Holder
Making a Fabric Dinner Roll Holder
Wedding Rehearsal
Wedding Rehearsal Dinner Invitations Ideas
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls