Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Growing Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid)

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid)

A perennial bulb that is related to the gladiolus, not to orchids. This guide is about growing acidanthera.

Solutions: Growing Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid)

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Article: Growing Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid)

White flower with purple center.

Botanical Name:

Gladiolus callianthis

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

spring

Height:

24" to 36"

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

zones 7-11

Bloom Time:

mid summer to fall

Flower:

white hooded flowers with maroon centers; fragrant

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers and mass plantings

Growing Hints:

Plant in clusters of 5-7 for best show. In the spring, Corms should be planted three inches deep and six inches apart. This plant requires a long growing season (up to 20 weeks) and should be started indoors 1 month before the last frost in northern zones. Water regularly while in bloom and cover plants with mulch if frost arrives during flowering. In the fall, bulbs can be left in the ground to spread or lifted, cleaned and stored in sand at 60º F for winter (zones 6 and north should always lift bulbs). Corms need to be dried quickly to avoid soft rot. The small bulblets that form around the main corm can also be separated and replanted.

Interesting Facts:

The peacock orchid is related to the gladiolus, not orchids.

By Ellen Brown

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Growing Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid).

Question: Growing Peacock Orchids in Pots

Can these plants be potted rather than put in the ground?

By Nikki

Question: Acidanthera (Peacock Lily) Not Blooming

My acidantera did not bloom this summer even though it had gorgeous leaves. I took them out and intend to store in the basement in dry sand at about 50 degrees. I will give them another try and plant them next spring. They look healthy.

Anyone else have this no bloom experience for the peacock lily?

By Carol

Question: Growing Peacock Orchid

I planted these bulbs in the greenhouse two weeks ago, in pots. They are all growing up already. Should I leave them in pots in the greenhouse or plant them out?

By Barbara

Question: Peacock Orchid Not Flowering

I have a Peacock orchid. The stems have grown really tall, but there is no sign of flowers. Is it too late for flowering this year?

By Val