Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid)

A perennial bulb that is related to the gladiolus, not to orchids. This guide is about growing acidanthera.

March 16, 2006 Flag

Botanical Name:

Gladiolus callianthis

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

spring

Height:

24" to 36"

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

zones 7-11

Bloom Time:

mid summer to fall

Flower:

white hooded flowers with maroon centers; fragrant

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers and mass plantings

Growing Hints:

Plant in clusters of 5-7 for best show. In the spring, Corms should be planted three inches deep and six inches apart. This plant requires a long growing season (up to 20 weeks) and should be started indoors 1 month before the last frost in northern zones. Water regularly while in bloom and cover plants with mulch if frost arrives during flowering. In the fall, bulbs can be left in the ground to spread or lifted, cleaned and stored in sand at 60º F for winter (zones 6 and north should always lift bulbs). Corms need to be dried quickly to avoid soft rot. The small bulblets that form around the main corm can also be separated and replanted.

Interesting Facts:

The peacock orchid is related to the gladiolus, not orchids.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://davesgar  es/pf/go/137927/ Try this site I found a lot of information on it there and this is my favorite place to find out about plants. Good luck.

October 6, 2015 Flag

I have been very successful with the above bulbs. I put some in the ground and some in a pot doing nothing else and all have flourished beautifully and are still flowering. My question is, firstly do I lift them before they have finished flowering and once lifted how do I look after the bulbs over the winter?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 3, 2014 Flag

Can these plants be potted rather than put in the ground?

By Nikki

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you grow peacock orchids in pots?

November 7, 2013 Flag

My acidantera did not bloom this summer even though it had gorgeous leaves. I took them out and intend to store in the basement in dry sand at about 50 degrees. I will give them another try and plant them next spring. They look healthy.

Anyone else have this no bloom experience for the peacock lily?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 6, 2013 Flag

I planted these bulbs in the greenhouse two weeks ago, in pots. They are all growing up already. Should I leave them in pots in the greenhouse or plant them out?

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2011 Flag

I have a Peacock orchid. The stems have grown really tall, but there is no sign of flowers. Is it too late for flowering this year?

By Val

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsSeptember 10, 2013
Chinese Ground Orchid
Growing Chinese Ground Orchid
Half of a honeydew melon and slices.
Growing Honeydew Melons
Woman with Orchids
Caring for an Orchid
Peacock Feathers
Peacock Themed Wedding Ideas
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 4:07:47 PM on 10.0.1.106 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.