Growing Bananas

Bananas are a great fruit to grow if you live in a tropical climate. This is a guide about growing bananas.

August 16, 2011 Flag

Oh my dear, I love bananas trees. I lived in Florida and I would go in the wild to get them. I would transfer them into my back yard. In the winter sometimes it was hard to keep them.

So now living in Canada, it can get very cold. In the spring, I plant the bananas in the garden. They love growing and make tons of babies. They are so beautiful.

Before the hard freeze, I transfer them into my living room, and then my wife raises her voice a bit! I do think they are a part of family, and help us to dream a bit for the next year.

By Ecoflex-Gilbert from Bois Des Filion, Quebec

September 7, 2012 Flag

I hear you can grow lots of veggies and fruits from their seeds. Can you grow a banana tree from any part of the left over banana peel? Or, is it possible to grow bananas from scratch at all?

We eat lots of bananas at my house, I would love to have a banana tree at my house. Thanks to all who are helping me.

By Pati

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Banana trees grow from cuttings of the banana tree. When you cut a banana in half you may have noticed the little dark spots that ring the center of the banana. At one time they were the seeds but have long since been bred out of the banana. Same as seedless oranges. So, if you can find a cutting from a banana tree and live in the right climate they they like you may be in business.

Also, go to and type in growing banana tree.

November 4, 2008 Flag

We were given a small banana tree when the neighbors were minimizing their stand. It isn't doing too well right now. Considering the weather, the fact it was not re-planted for a few days, and that it was planted in the shade. I'd like to purchase one that is correct for this climate and start again in the spring. Any suggestions?

I'd go to a really good nursery - NOT Walmart - and get suggestions. You could also contact your extension service. They should know. My grandparents lived in Texas City and had a beautiful banana tree.

Home and Garden Gardening Growing FruitJuly 25, 2011
A bunch of bananas.
Storing Bananas
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dried Bananas
Recipes Using Dried Bananas
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas