Growing Camellias

Category Shrubs
Growing Camellias
These small, flowering evergreen trees come in many varieties, including some that are grown for tea. This guide is about growing camellias.

Can anyone tell me what this flower is?
Thanks.

By Becky from Salisbury, MD

Best Answer

It's a sasanquah camellia.

Is it possible to start a camellia from a cutting? And if so, how do I proceed? Do I use new growth? Please share your advice. It will be most appreciated.

By Barbara

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Camelias are rooted from tip cuttings in June (just past the real new growth and below a nub). Take your cuttings and put them in a container with soil that drains good (vermiculite or styrofoam pebbles work to let it drain good.)

Keep the soil moist but not wet and take more cuttings than you need because it is your first try. If they don't root then next spring before the buds open cut some with old growth and place in bark and sand mixture keep moist but let dry out a little in between and that works for me.

google: rooting camelia cuttings and you'll have ample ideas.

I did it a little differently than the other person posted. I took end cuttings, put them in little pots with a good loose potting soil. I used Rootone as well to encourage root growth. I then placed all of the little pots in a tray inside a large clear plastic bag which I tied at the top after watering the cuttings. This was to maintain 100% humidity. That was in February here in California. I then placed them on a table near a window and never had to water them again. I now have rooted camellia plants that I am transplanting into bigger pots in the middle of May.

The first sign of root growth was the new leaves that the cuttings were putting out.

I don't remember where online that I read about doing this sort of thing but I just adapted the instructions to what I had at the time and it worked wonderfully well. Hopes this helps.

Jeanette

What type of soil do camellia plants like?

By Dianne from Vancouver Island. B.C. Canada

Camellia growers seldom get into trouble from using organic soil amendments such as peat, well rotted sawdust or bagasse. Frequently it is desirable to supplement these organics with mineral fertilizer or to add other organics such as cottonseed meal.

A mixture that has worked well on neutral to slightly alkaline soils is made up of 5 parts (by weight) of cottonseed meal, 3 parts of superphosphate, and 2 parts of sulphate of potash. This mixture became quite popular and was commonly but erroneously been called a 5-3-2 mixture; actually it is more nearly a 3-6-12 mixture that is, contains about 3 per cent nitrogen, 6 per cent phosphoric acid and 12 per cent potash.

Even this formula should be used in small quantities not over 2 pounds to each 100 square feet once each year, usually about six weeks before the approximate date when growth starts. In the South Atlantic and Gulf Coast sections new growth begins, in normal seasons, about March 15, so that the fertilizer should he applied about February 1 to 15. No hard and fast rule can be laid down, however, and it may be necessary to increase or decrease the dosage of either fertilizer to meet individual soil requirements.

Good luck.

I live in the south east of England. I have a camellia shrub in a tub in the garden. I think it needs a feed and as sequestrian iron tonic is expensive, does anyone have a cheaper alternative?

By Diane CS

My camellia has some leaves that are turning brown. I asked the gardener if he knew what it was? He thought it was bugs, but I had it checked out and it's not. What should I do?

By Elaine from The Villages, FL

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Years ago when trying to locate a place to transplant a camellia languishing in too much sun, I began what has become a camellia garden on the north side of the house. This is a photo taken in April of one of my favorite varieties. It was an inexpensive plant from the Home Depot.

The garden has probably 5-6 shrubs that have all grown tall enough to see over the fence from the walkway. I look forward to spring for the lovely flower show out the great room window.

By Barbara

A pink camellia blossom.

Comment Like this photo? 11