Growing Cucumbers in Containers

Many gardeners prefer to grow their vegetables in containers whenever possible. This is a guide about growing cucumbers in containers.

June 7, 2010 Flag

I would like to plant cucumbers in a container. What kind of container should I use? Should it be big and tall like a 5 gallon bucket or short and small like a dish pan. I am growing the small cukes. Thank you.

By Carole

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think you could use either one. My neighbor has one of those whiskey barrels and she has a tomato in the center and cukes along the sides of it. She is hoping they will drape over the edge.

Best Answer

In general the more soil you are able to give a veggie plant, the healthier it will be. It is easier to keep large pots from drying out and there are more nutrients available. Remember, if the volume of 2 containers is the same, the one with more surface area will dry out quicker.

If you use the 5-gallon bucket, you can poke one of those wire tomato supports into the soil and train the cucumber up it.

Home and Garden Gardening ContainerNovember 11, 2016
Cucumbers
Selecting Good Cucumbers
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Photo of a cumber on the vine.
Growing Cucumbers
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:22:12 PM on 10.0.2.91 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.