Growing Cucumbers

Here are some tips for growing cucumbers by the ThriftyFun community.

Plant With Sunflowers

Cucumbers are sweeter when you plant them with sunflowers!

By Mariann

Grow Near An Archway

Plant one near a decorative planted garden archway, the cucumber plant will weave its way up the arch with the ornamental. I had a self seeded pumpkin growing among my rampant climbing rose, it was no problem, shared the fertiliser and water, fruited well and I just pulled the stems out when they were dead.

By Jo

Hanging Basket On A Fence

Try growing your cucumbers in hanging baskets hanging on a fence. If it's a wooden fence, all you need to do is stretch a wire or some string along it so as the cucumber has something to grow along. I have found that you have to water daily.

By pthere from Hamilton, New Zealand

Off The Ground

Cucumbers do very well off the ground. I've grown them against fences and on a trellis. It keeps the cukes cleaner and straighter and seem to have less trouble with powdery mildew. If they are too out of hand already, try to stuff some mulch like straw or newspaper under the vines so they stay off the ground. Note: moldy hay might have powdery mildew so it is not recommended.

By Carla

Livestock Fence

We have also used hog panels or livestock fence for cucumbers and tomatoes. I use nylon hose cut in small pieces to tie both, works great and doesn't hurt the vine.

By Chaingang

Wire Cages

I grow my cucumbers in a wire cage. It is made out of fencing wire and about three feet around. Cucumbers usually just grow on the ground and take over whatever they want. This way, they are confined a little. I just keep putting the runners back inside the cage when they grow out. The trellis idea is interesting.

I just used regular tomato cages and ran the vines through the spokes. So far, so good! I think you don't want them on the ground if you can help it. They could get moldy.

Cucumbers Will Keep Coming

When harvesting cucumbers, the best way to detach the cucumber once it is ready and will the plant keep on producing after the first harvesting.

By Alex

Feed Cucumbers Often

Remember cucumbers are heavy feeders so be sure to feed them often. I use a weak solution of miracle grow or the generic/store brand weekly and this year I have gotten more cucumbers than ever. Cucumbers need lots of rich soil, lots of manure and heat and water.

Homemade Nylon Trellis

I did tie my tomatoes and cucumbers to a nylon trellis that I made. I am hoping that they will grow to be tall and produce lots of cukes!

By Sarah in IL

GOT SOME SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND AM GONNA TRY YOUR TIP ABOUT THE CUKES AND FLOWERS. ALSO I USE BRANCHED STICKS WE COLLECT IN THE FALL FOR MY POLE BEANS TO RUN ON( THEY'RE FREE )AND I USE THEM FOR THE CUKES TOO. JUST PLACE THEM A LITTLE CLOSER TOGETHER.

I seem to always get cucumber beetles. I hate to use insecticides. I've tried neem oil and spraying with soaps and other natural concoctions. I will have beautiful plants and the next day the whole thing dies. Help!

Have u tried garlic or onion water? Soak crushed garlic for a couple of days and spray on the plant.

Have you tried growing Nasturtiums around your cucumbers. They are known to repel cucumber beetles.

Sow radishes with the cucumbers and let the radishes flower. They repel cucumber beetles.

Plant borage around your cakes, squash, zucchini...they deter those nasty beetles and squash vine borers.

I plant radishes when I start the cukes..they deter the pests that bother cukes and squash..

We made a trellis out of 4 metal fence posts and hog fencing. Drive 2 sets of 2 posts about 3 feet apart by the width of the fencing, this will make a nice, sturdy trellis that will last from year to year. Plant your cucumber seeds or plants close to the fencing and keep guiding them through the wire as they grow. Add a sunflower at each corner for an amazing garden feature and you will yield more fruit and no powdery mildew by keeping the cukes off the ground.

I planted some really cool red corn as an experiment really close to my cucumbers and they climbed it nicely. We must have really good soil where I live because I did almost nothing to feed or fertilize them, and they were monsters. We had so many we were giving them away to anyone who would take some. Lol

Photo of a cumber on the vine.
Growing Cucumbers
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodApril 19, 2007
Cucumbers
Selecting Good Cucumbers
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
Cucumber plants growing in a container.
Growing Cucumbers in Containers
Cucumber growing on plant
Choosing a Cucumber Variety
🎉
🎄