Growing Food in a Small Space

Category Container
Growing strawberries in a planter.
If you have room for a plant or two you can grow something that you can eat. This guide is about growing food in a small space.

My hubby got me some 3 gallon square buckets to start a garden (fruits and veggies) and I need some advice as to what to plant and where to find the seeds for it. I have never had any luck with grocery store seeds so I'm looking for other places.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Thanks,
Denise from Mcrae, GA

Most Vegetables fruit and herbs grow well in containers. Brassica's are about the only difficult exception although this is still possible with care to stop them bolting. Most seed catalogues list seed especially developped for growing in small area's.

I have grown everything in buckets, just be sure to drill holes in bottom for drainage. 5 or 6 holes in the bottom or around the bottom edge. I use half leaves and soil, (no chemicals here at all) you can grow all veggies, flowers , herbs etc. what ever you heart desires, except a large tree or shrub, but you can also start them in there. If you get your seeds from a nursery you should be o.k. I have never had any problem with any seeds I bought from anywhere . Do not keep your new seeds very wet, spray them a bit with a weak tea solution - not soak them, and make sure they are out of direct sun till they have at least 2 or 3 set of leaves. I even get seed from drug store when the are on sale a 10cents a pack, and never have any problem with them. If you get a "thick " seed, like morning glory, (will need a trellis of some sort) be sure to soak them at least 8 hours to soften the seed, all hard and thick seeds should be soaked. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Go to www.gardenweb.com You will find forums about many - many subjects. You will be interested in container gardening, of course. But they have many named vegetables and flowers also seeds.

Be sure to save the pages to your favoriites list.

Good luck

I grow tomato plants, various herbs, and peppers in containers. They do quite well. I tried zuchinni two years in a row and it did poorly. I buy the tiny plants at the green house. I just have better luck. (I can't really grow much indorrs as I don't have proper light and the pets tend to distroy potted plants) It honestly doesn't cost that much when you consider that you aren't buying enought for a whole garden - just a few containers. Last year I splurged and bought one larger tomato plant. It produced so quickly that I plan to buy all large tomato plants this year. I have had some good results growing herbs from seeds. I bought a cilantro plant several years ago. It goes to seed mid summer and I just leave the pot alone, making sure it doesn't get too dry. The seeds re-sprout new plants for late summer. Then at the end of the growing season I move the pot to a sheltered spot. In spring, I sit it back out in the sun and make sure it gets watter and suddenly I have new cilantro plants!

hi thank you to all of you who posted i will try all of you suggestions denise

To find seed to plant you can find them in Hardware stores or look in ph book for seed & feed stores,we get seed in a Farmers exchange here,also the Dollar stores have seed,good luck.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

If you don't have the space in your yard, you can get some big Rubbermaid containers/buckets, drill holes in the bottom of it, fill with dirt, and plant either seeds and/or actual veggie or fruit plants. You can set the containers/buckets on a deck or just about anywhere outside.

You can use just about any kind of container. I had several baskets and sorters that I had lying around the house so, I decided to put them to good use. A Topsy Turvy also works really well and you can use any kind of plant in it. Big flower pots work great too.

I have a huge garden in our yard as well as fruits and veggies in a series of big Rubbermaid containers/buckets. Last year everything did really well in both the containers/buckets, in the yard, as well our 15 fruit trees.

Rubbermaid containers/buckets work better than other brands because they won't split when you drill holes in them.

With the economy as bad as it is it pays to plant a garden. It will cut down on your grocery bill. You can also can your veggies and fruits to save for a later date.
Michelle in Maryville, TN

By avidhiker10 from Maryville, TN

Hanging tomato planter.

Comment Like this photo? 4