Growing Fuchsias

Category Flowers
Fuchsia Blooms
There is a wide variety of fuchsia plants, including those often grown as annuals and hardy types you can plant in your garden. All have lovely blooms and can attract hummingbirds to your garden. This is a guide about growing fuchsias.

Is a fuchsia plant a bulb that I can replant next year? I bought a very large fuchsia that was loaded with blooms. It was doing great, and now the flowers are fading badly. The plant is only 2 weeks old. What's wrong? Thanks.

Audrey

They need regular watering. Do a search on Fuchsias and you'll see that this is recommended.

Fuchsias are such beautiful plants. They don't like the hot sun. They may be started by what I call "slips". Get a start or slip by taking a piece off of a stem that has bud or stem bump. I know this sounds funny but I don't know what to call these things. Forgive me. Anyway make sure that the stem, I would take 3 or 4 starts has the little bump about an 2 inches or less from the bottom of stem. Place in a jar, glass whatever of water. The little bump is what roots so make sure that is under water. Change the water occasionally do not let it get cloudy or smelly. Always check to see if you need more water in glass. Roots should grow from the bump. You can also start them with a root hormone and put them directly in soil. Have fun and good luck

Don't know where you live. I love fuchsias. They like a cooler, slightly breezy area, with good moisture. Don't let them dry out, they get very sad if you do. Regular fertilizer & regular clipping or they get leggy. Only filtered sun or for a short time in the morning.White fly & aphids can be a problem. They are not a bulb.

I thought I had over watered my fuchsia, so I put a slow fan on to dry out soil. For 4 days I never touched that plant,and the leaves are still hanging all wilty. If I cut all those [dead] branches off. Will it eventually come back? Or should I just put it in [file 13 ]. Thank you so much. Audrey

We live in an apartment complex and there are always surprises in the communal trash bins. My son knows I plant everything, so he just came in the door with 2 fuchsia plants that had been thrown away.

It looks like they were kept in the little 4 inch pots they were bought in. They look pretty scrawny, have some dead branches, and no blossoms. I looked them up on several gardening sites and see that they need bigger pots, watering every day, shade, and fertilizer about every 2 weeks.

I've cut off the dead branches and had a friendly talk with them to make them welcome. Is there anything else I should do to revive my little orphan plants? I've always wanted a fuchsia plant, but never bought one, so other than what I read on the internet, I'm not sure what to do.

By DiJones from Wilsonville, OR

They need a lot of water. Put them in larger pots, let them soak in bath tub with water in it until they are wet, and maybe they will revive. Also, search for "how to grow Fuchsia plant" lots of info there. Good luck.

Fuchsia' are wonderful plants. I have many. During the day, they like filtered sun & evenly moist soil. When it's hot, they really like misting to help with heat drooping. They like acid fertilizers. When you first get the sick ones, I'd put them in an area with good light & no sun, to let hem recover. There are some fuchsias that like more sun than others, so after they are recovered, I'd put the pots in different areas till you find the best place for them. If you have trimmed them back, that's good. If they are really ratty, take each branch & cut them about 1 in beyond the last healthy set of leaves. This gives them a break so they can work on the roots & then they will start to leaf out everywhere. I am lucky. I live in an area where a fuchsia society has yearly meetings & they sell rooted cuttings cheap. I have some miniature & micro-miniature ones with such tiny bloom & you can't get them in regular stores. They always have such a wide variety of nice plants.

Can I prune a hardy fuchsia now? If so how close to the ground can I go? I have pruned it in the spring in the past after it begins to leaf out and used that as my guide for how much stem to remove. But this year I would like to take it further back. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

Hi Barbara, You should prune the plant after the last frost. Water it and give it an application of fertilizer (18-18-18) at half strength a few days before pruning.Cut away all dead branches and because plant only blooms on new growth, cut to within 1-2 bud sections of previous year pruning.Make cuts just above a bud section. The lowest temp. this plant can tolerate is 40 degrees. Ideal temp. for them is 60-70 and it will cease to bloom when temp. is above 80 degrees. Hope this helps!

I would like to know how to winterize my fuchsia plant indoors for the winter.

Flo

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is a beautiful flower I grew last year. It was small when I bought it and I never dreamed it would get so big and bloom all summer and fall.

By Sherry from Silverdale WA

Fuchsia plant

Comment Like this photo? Yes