Growing Hair After Chemotherapy

Young bald girl smiling
Chemotherapy targets rapidly growing cells as it battles cancer. Unfortunately, hair cells also fall into this category, often resulting in partial or complete temporary hair loss. This is a guide about growing hair after chemotherapy.

I have recently had to have chemo, which caused me to lose all of my hair. Does anyone know of any tricks on how to get your hair to grow back faster?

Connie from Smithville, TN

This is a wonderful, inexpensive way to improve the circulation on your scalp. After washing your head with a warm washcloth, take olive oil and put just the tinyest bit in the palm of your hand. While your skin is still moist, rub into your scalp. It doesn't smell when you use just a little and it softens dry skin anywhere. Plus the stimulation to your scalp will help nourish those hair folicles.

Well, on average hair grows about 1/2 inch per month; give it a healthy environment by practicing proper nutrition and hydration. Although this will not speed things up the end result will be better. A daily scalp massage as well as a good shampoo and conditioner will marginally speed things up to at least average, if the hair is currently coming back less than 1/2 inch per month. Good luck!

Wish I could tell you how to make it grow faster, but everything I ever read about it says about half an inch per month is the average rate of regrowth. I went through chemo last year for breast cancer, with the last dose in September, and my hair is 3 inches long, just as expected after 6 months. Everyone's body is different of course, just keep up with good nutrition and stay positive as possible (and yes, I know that part is really hard sometimes!). Also, remember to do your research and maybe talk to your doctor before taking nutritional supplements that are not marked with the USP purity designation (verified to make sure that the product and amounts shown on the label are REALLY what's in it) because after some forms of cancer, we've got to be just a bit more careful than the average person might realize. Hang in there, big hugs!

First, let me say that I hope you are doing well. Believe it or not, prenatal vitamins work wonders for hair growth. If you are permitted to take them, they have a generic version at Wal-Mart for about $7.00. I used them during my pregnancy. Hope you get the results you are looking for! Take care.