Growing Herbs in a Container Garden

I am interested in growing herbs in a 14-20 inch pot on my deck this summer. Is it possible to grow them in a pot or will they spread too much for that type of gardening? What herbs would be best for container gardening?

Diana from Prospect, KY

Answers:

Growing Herbs in a Container Garden

I live in zone 5A, and grow herbs in containers on my deck. I use plastic waste baskets that have drainage holes drilled in the bottom. I got them at the dollar store so they all would match and look better since the deck is on the front of the house. I start with plants bought at the nursery, and have successfully grown basil, parsley, rosemary, mint, oregano, and catnip. I also have sage in a container, but it is a perennial, and comes back each year. I cut herbs for use all summer, and dry whatever is left in the fall. Just used up the last of the rosemary. (03/18/2009)

By Omanana

Growing Herbs in a Container Garden

Herbs usually do well in containers. If you're planning on using a single pot try to leave at least 5 inches between plants to give them space. Pick the herbs you like to use, keeping an eye on size and growing instructions. Basil, oregano, sage, or marjoram are likely safe bets. Rosemary is wonderful, but I think it does better in its own pot, and mint spreads quickly so it's also better alone. You could make a really attractive display with a large pot surrounded by a few smaller ones. Container plants dry out quickly especially in the heat, so water them regularly, too. (03/19/2009)

By Tapestry Lady

Growing Herbs in a Container Garden

I use a wonderful site called gardenweb.com.

They have wonderful people on the message boards that seem to be able to answer any question in the world when it comes to gardening things. They also have a board where you can swap seeds, or even get seeds for SASE or postage for them. I had a ton of seeds leftover from last season's swaps, so I donated them to Head Start and Early Head Start because I know a lot of those parents are in the same boat if not worse than ours.

-Leslie (03/20/2009)

By raelyn218

Growing Herbs in a Container Garden

Has anyone tried the Garden Soxx? It is a tubular mesh containment that is great for indoor gardening. Great for herbs. They come 3 feet long and already filled with a certified compost growing media. They are so easy to grow in and work with. They are fairly inexpensive, too. If you want to learn more on them go to certifiederosion-nh.com and click on growing with soxx. I grew chives all winter in one. I did 3 plants in it and they did so well. Still are doing real well. (03/24/2009)

By GardenSoxx

Herbs growing in containers.
Growing Herbs in Containers
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Container Water Garden
Making a Container Water Garden
Herbs
Freezing Herbs
🎉
🎄