Browsing: Growing Jasmine

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Jasmine

A shrub native to tropical and warm regions that is primarily grown for tea flowers. This guide is about growing jasmine.

A Flowering Jasmine Bush
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 20, 2010 Flag

This is one single jasmine bush/vine. It was rescued just ahead of the bulldozer that would have taken it down when it was about 2 feet tall. That was 3 years ago. It must like its new home for now it is over 13 feet tall, and at least that wide as it reaches all across the back of the cabin and out about 16 inches on either side. It is looking for more trellis which it is going to have very shortly

As you can see, it is in massive full bloom, and the entire neighborhood enjoys the lovely fragrance. It is alive with honey bees right now too since we do not use any type of insecticide anywhere. There must be hives somewhere close by although I've looked and haven't found any.

This is very close to the Steinhatchee River, so it's possible their hive is across the river. Lots of lovely woodsy areas around there too, so maybe there is even a bee tree somewhere. I hope you enjoy the photos as we have.

Source: There photos were taken by our daughter on her land in north Florida.

By Julia

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2011 Flag

I read a similar post from a gal who had a Jasmine plant with small white star like blossoms and dark green waxy leaves. Her plant started to grow grapes. I read the information that the plant can grow grapes that turn dark purple for the birds to eat.

My plant now has two "grape like" fruits growing on it. One is the size of a small lime and the other one is the size of the largest olive you can buy, like a Greek stuffed olive. My fruit is still green. My plant is inside my house. What do I do with the fruit? It may end up being an eggplant at the rate it is growing.

By Dottie1111 from Naperville, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Star Jasmine plant that has become a tree with pale yellow flowers. Not one white star like flower since it was transplanted? No clue why. And no fruit or even seed pods. The tree is in the foreground of this picture. GG Vi

Oh no, that looks like a privet tree. Nastiest, stinkiest, messiest tree on the face of this earth (in my opinion). It will produce abundant purple berries, smaller than usual grapes, that the birds will love to eat, then poop purple all over everything! My suggestion, cut it down, ASAP! The other challenge with privet, is the birds will eat the semi-fermented berries and fly around drunk and into doors, windows, walls, etc. I loved surrounded by privets for 10 years.

That's not a Star Jasmine VINE, which grows 20 feet or more. None of mine over 30 years has ever had seed pods. They can get them, but they would be tiny. The Star flowers are only about 1/2 inch in diameter.

December 23, 2013 Flag

Closeup of red, egg shaped fruit.We planted a jasmine plant here in the Philippines and a few weeks later I noticed that there were little fruits on the jasmine plant. They were green then a few weeks later they turned red. They are the same size as grapes. Can they be eaten? Two red fruit hanging from the vine.

By France F.

ALL parts, including fruit, of the Star Jasmine are poisonous! DO NOT eat! If you get the white sap on your skin, wash with soap and water. Don't get into your eyes!

July 20, 2009 Flag

I am new to CA and slowly trying to learn about all the different plants and gardening rules that differ from the northeast. I moved into my house last August and it had a beautiful Jasmine plant going up one of the columns. This spring it went into bloom and was gorgeous.

Now the problem, when the flowers were dead I deadheaded the plant. Within days I noticed that a lot of leaves had brown all over them. Is it possible that the milky white substances caused this on the leaves? It looks almost like they are burned. If this did cause the problem, how do I prevent this next time? If I cut all these dead leaves won't the same thing happen? Looking forward to any help you can give me.

By Dwutz from Santa Clarita, CA

Welcome to CA. It is a great place for growing so many wonderful plants. I have had Star Jasmine for years. They take hard cutting back and they will grow masses of white blooms around May/June/July. We just had ours cut back last week. Here is a picture of the vines. I do have one strange one. I dug it up about 10-15 yrs ago and moved it to the "Path Garden" and it became a TREE,never had a single white flower since,but does have pale yellow flowers in a much different form in June/July. I don't know what caused it to change but it makes a nice addition to the garden. The browning happens once in awhile when the weather is to hot.But they always come back with new growth.

Happy Gardening, Great Granny Vi

Here is the Star Jasmine Tree. Sorry the picture is out of focus. GG Vi

March 17, 2009 Flag

I have a night blooming Jasmine that I planted less than a year ago and it has grown very large. I do not know how to prune it back. Can anyone send some advice?

Heidi from Largo, FL

I have a confederate jasmine growing in front of my sir conditioner unit on a lattice fence. My husband got happy with the hedge clippers and cut all the branches of the plant back to the lattice and left ugly long scarred tips of plant. Will it bloom this year and what can I do to fix what hubby ruined? It is a big plant but there aren't many leaves left now. Looks really bad.

September 29, 2005 Flag

I have a Jasmine plant that I have had for two years. Last summer it bloomed beautiful little white flowers that were waxy to the touch - almost felt artificial. I brought it in during the winter and it lost quite a few leaves on the lower half.

This summer it did very well out on the deck and it bloomed like before, however, the flowers fell off shortly after they bloomed. Then a few weeks later, I noticed some fruit looking things growing on the plant (there are 4 of them). They keep getting larger and larger and I have no idea what they are. They started out green and now they have changed to a deep purple - almost black.

Can you please tell me what they are?

Deb from Iowa

this is what I found on the internet

Jasminum adenophyllum

A rare endemic in Meghalaya State (India). Spreading fast growing vine with glossy large 2-3" dark green leaves similar to leaves of Jasminum Rex. Flowers are large, 2-3" wide, with narrow curled petels and extremely fragrant. Flower shape resembles Michelia Alba flower. Black-blue berries size of a small grape appear after blooming which attract birds. This species is very hard to find.

the fruit appeared to look like grapes to me?

Is this what your looks like?

http://www.toptropical.net/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi

March 17, 2009 Flag

I have had my jasmine plants all over Texas. They are now in a colder climate and are no longer flowering all year long. I need to know when is the best time of year to prune them and how far down I should cut. They are in large buckets and are growing upward on a six foot trellis. They are looking pretty sad. Please help.

Randy from Abaline, TX

Answers:

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I live in an association complex and we have the worst gardeners. They insist on pruning every leaf off every plant including the Jasmine ground cover. They pruned the Jasmine down to the rootball. Isn't that an overkill, especially since it took 8 years to cover the dirt? (01/24/2009)

By Ms. Sunshine

May 5, 2008 Flag

Question:

When is the best time to prune a (star) jasmine plant? I haven't done this yet so how much can I prune it? Do I cut it back a little or way back? Do I have to to this during a particular season or anytime I am up for a bit of gardening work?

Jaime from USA

Answer:

Jaime,

Star Jasmine (also referred to as Confederate Jasmine) is known to be pretty resilient when it comes to pruning. Pruning it regularly will help you keep it in good shape and restrain it when necessary. Use a good, sharp hedge shears to do the job. There are several ways to go about the pruning process, so decide what your objectives are and then proceed accordingly. Remove any lanky, gangly stems and branches anytime you're up for a bit of gardening work. If you want to encourage lateral growth, pinch back only the tips. If you're growing it as ground cover, prune back any stems that start twining upward. If you want it to grow like a hedge, shape it like a hedge. For jasmine that is growing completely out of control, cutting it back severely every once-in-a-while won't hurt it either. For general rejuvenation, prune it back 1 or 2 feet beyond where you want the new growth to emerge. How far you cut it back isn't as important as when you cut it back. Star jasmine blooms on last year's growth, so wait until immediately after it flowers to do any heavy pruning or you'll risk cutting off next year's buds.

Ellen

Answers:

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

We live in Florida also, and trim our jasmine anytime. I prefer not to trim in the summer as I am removing the blooms. (06/30/2006)

By Karen.

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I have been pulling off the flowers as they turn brown. I'm very new to flowers so I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing. (I assumed that was pruning) until I noticed fresh green piece coming from the center of the flowers. What is this? (02/28/2008)

By JB

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

The best season for pruning the jasmine is the last week of December or the first week of January. Prune the plants leaving 45cm from the ground level and defoliate the plants completely. This will induce flowering profusely by the end of February and March. This season is suited only for the southern states of India. (04/03/2008)

By vels...

Home and Garden Gardening PerennialsFebruary 5, 2013
Half of a honeydew melon and slices.
Growing Honeydew Melons
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Picture of Jasmine from Aladdin.
Making a Princess Jasmine Costume (Aladdin)
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:55:01 PM on 10.0.0.69 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.