Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Growing Jasmine

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A Flowering Jasmine Bush

A shrub native to tropical and warm regions that is primarily grown for tea flowers. This guide is about growing jasmine.

Here are questions related to Growing Jasmine.

Question: Jasmine Vine Produced Fruit

Closeup of red, egg shaped fruit.We planted a jasmine plant here in the Philippines and a few weeks later I noticed that there were little fruits on the jasmine plant. They were green then a few weeks later they turned red. They are the same size as grapes. Can they be eaten? Two red fruit hanging from the vine.

By France F.

Question: Pruning a Star Jasmine

We have a 12 year old star jasmine plant. It was recently trimmed and now it appears as all dead wood. If we cut it down to 1-2 feet will it grow back?

By Brenda B

Question: Fruit Growing on a Jasmine Plant

I read a similar post from a gal who had a Jasmine plant with small white star like blossoms and dark green waxy leaves. Her plant started to grow grapes. I read the information that the plant can grow grapes that turn dark purple for the birds to eat.

My plant now has two "grape like" fruits growing on it. One is the size of a small lime and the other one is the size of the largest olive you can buy, like a Greek stuffed olive. My fruit is still green. My plant is inside my house. What do I do with the fruit? It may end up being an eggplant at the rate it is growing.

By Dottie1111 from Naperville, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M. [54]08/01/2011

Oh no, that looks like a privet tree. Nastiest, stinkiest, messiest tree on the face of this earth (in my opinion). It will produce abundant purple berries, smaller than usual grapes, that the birds will love to eat, then poop purple all over everything! My suggestion, cut it down, ASAP! The other challenge with privet, is the birds will eat the semi-fermented berries and fly around drunk and into doors, windows, walls, etc. I loved surrounded by privets for 10 years.

Question: Growing Peacock Jasmine

How do you grow a Peacock jasmine? It's in the house, but I didn't know if it likes full sun or what else I should know about it. No instructions came with it. Thank you.

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Question: Jasmine Leaves Turning Brown

I am new to CA and slowly trying to learn about all the different plants and gardening rules that differ from the northeast. I moved into my house last August and it had a beautiful Jasmine plant going up one of the columns. This spring it went into bloom and was gorgeous.

Now the problem, when the flowers were dead I deadheaded the plant. Within days I noticed that a lot of leaves had brown all over them. Is it possible that the milky white substances caused this on the leaves? It looks almost like they are burned. If this did cause the problem, how do I prevent this next time? If I cut all these dead leaves won't the same thing happen? Looking forward to any help you can give me.

By Dwutz from Santa Clarita, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Vi Johnson [231]07/26/2009

Here is the Star Jasmine Tree. Sorry the picture is out of focus. GG Vi

RE: Jasmine Leaves Turning Brown

Question: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I have a night blooming Jasmine that I planted less than a year ago and it has grown very large. I do not know how to prune it back. Can anyone send some advice?

Heidi from Largo, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Robby [2]03/22/2009

I have a confederate jasmine growing in front of my sir conditioner unit on a lattice fence. My husband got happy with the hedge clippers and cut all the branches of the plant back to the lattice and left ugly long scarred tips of plant. Will it bloom this year and what can I do to fix what hubby ruined? It is a big plant but there aren't many leaves left now. Looks really bad.

Question: "Fruit" Growing on a Jasmine Plant

I have a Jasmine plant that I have had for two years. Last summer it bloomed beautiful little white flowers that were waxy to the touch - almost felt artificial. I brought it in during the winter and it lost quite a few leaves on the lower half.

This summer it did very well out on the deck and it bloomed like before, however, the flowers fell off shortly after they bloomed. Then a few weeks later, I noticed some fruit looking things growing on the plant (there are 4 of them). They keep getting larger and larger and I have no idea what they are. They started out green and now they have changed to a deep purple - almost black.

Can you please tell me what they are?

Deb from Iowa

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon (Guest Post)09/29/2005

this is what I found on the internet

Jasminum adenophyllum

A rare endemic in Meghalaya State (India). Spreading fast growing vine with glossy large 2-3" dark green leaves similar to leaves of Jasminum Rex. Flowers are large, 2-3" wide, with narrow curled petels and extremely fragrant. Flower shape resembles Michelia Alba flower. Black-blue berries size of a small grape appear after blooming which attract birds. This species is very hard to find.

the fruit appeared to look like grapes to me?
Is this what your looks like?
http://www.toptropical.net/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi

Solutions: Growing Jasmine

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Garden: Jasmine

This is one single jasmine bush/vine. It was rescued just ahead of the bulldozer that would have taken it down when it was about 2 feet tall. That was 3 years ago. It must like its new home for now it is over 13 feet tall, and at least that wide as it reaches all across the back of the cabin and out about 16 inches on either side. It is looking for more trellis which it is going to have very shortly

As you can see, it is in massive full bloom, and the entire neighborhood enjoys the lovely fragrance. It is alive with honey bees right now too since we do not use any type of insecticide anywhere. There must be hives somewhere close by although I've looked and haven't found any.

This is very close to the Steinhatchee River, so it's possible their hive is across the river. Lots of lovely woodsy areas around there too, so maybe there is even a bee tree somewhere. I hope you enjoy the photos as we have.

Source: There photos were taken by our daughter on her land in north Florida.

By Julia

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

Question:

When is the best time to prune a (star) jasmine plant? I haven't done this yet so how much can I prune it? Do I cut it back a little or way back? Do I have to to this during a particular season or anytime I am up for a bit of gardening work?

Jaime from USA

Answer:

Jaime,

Star Jasmine (also referred to as Confederate Jasmine) is known to be pretty resilient when it comes to pruning. Pruning it regularly will help you keep it in good shape and restrain it when necessary. Use a good, sharp hedge shears to do the job. There are several ways to go about the pruning process, so decide what your objectives are and then proceed accordingly. Remove any lanky, gangly stems and branches anytime you're up for a bit of gardening work. If you want to encourage lateral growth, pinch back only the tips. If you're growing it as ground cover, prune back any stems that start twining upward. If you want it to grow like a hedge, shape it like a hedge. For jasmine that is growing completely out of control, cutting it back severely every once-in-a-while won't hurt it either. For general rejuvenation, prune it back 1 or 2 feet beyond where you want the new growth to emerge. How far you cut it back isn't as important as when you cut it back. Star jasmine blooms on last year's growth, so wait until immediately after it flowers to do any heavy pruning or you'll risk cutting off next year's buds.

Ellen

RE: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

We live in Florida also, and trim our jasmine anytime. I prefer not to trim in the summer as I am removing the blooms. (06/30/2006)

By Karen.

RE: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I have been pulling off the flowers as they turn brown. I'm very new to flowers so I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing. (I assumed that was pruning) until I noticed fresh green piece coming from the center of the flowers. What is this? (02/28/2008)

By JB

RE: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

The best season for pruning the jasmine is the last week of December or the first week of January. Prune the plants leaving 45cm from the ground level and defoliate the plants completely. This will induce flowering profusely by the end of February and March. This season is suited only for the southern states of India. (04/03/2008)

By vels...

Archive: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I have had my jasmine plants all over Texas. They are now in a colder climate and are no longer flowering all year long. I need to know when is the best time of year to prune them and how far down I should cut. They are in large buckets and are growing upward on a six foot trellis. They are looking pretty sad. Please help.

Randy from Abaline, TX

RE: Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I live in an association complex and we have the worst gardeners. They insist on pruning every leaf off every plant including the Jasmine ground cover. They pruned the Jasmine down to the rootball. Isn't that an overkill, especially since it took 8 years to cover the dirt? (01/24/2009)

By Ms. Sunshine