Growing Lemon Trees from Seed

Category Fruit Trees
Lemon tree seedlings.
Growing fruit trees from seed is fun, despite the long wait for them to reach maturity. This is a guide about growing lemon trees from seed.

I planted some lemon pips in November last year, and they grew to about 4cm tall, and it seems as if they aren't growing anymore. They have been the same size since December, and they have now turned a very light yellow. I can't think that this is normal. Are they supposed to take so long to grow? What did I do wrong to make them go yellow? :-/

I have added a photo of what they look like now.

Could anyone please guide me in any way? Anything would be helpful.

Thank you so much!

By Lauren

Best Answer

I think it may be the soil. I moved my seedlings to to containers. One with normal soil and one with soil designed for citrus and palms that's meant to be better draining. There was a clear difference in growth.

I'm curious if anyone has planted a whole lemon in the ground with any success? I have heard that it works, but until today I have not tried it. I'm curious if anyone else has ever tried this, and if it will actually produce. If no one has tried it before, I guess I will keep you updated!

I would cut the lemon and plant the seeds directly. You can even grow a tree inside. This video shows you how: https://www.you  ch?v=57XoFG0QuMI

I have many lemon trees but have never planted a whole lemon :) Just use the seed.

Anonymous

I took several lemon seeds from a fresh cut lemon. A friend told me to put them in my mouth as soon as I take them from the lemon. Have your seed pot ready with seeding soil and push the seeds in about 1\4 inch. Water and keep the soil damp. It took about 4 weeks before I saw a seedling. I only got one out of the lot but it is now about 3 feet high and growing nicely.

I live in Greece, this is my very first attempt at home planting. I have two different pots with lemon seeds, one of them doesn't look so healthy. Can you help me to figure out why? I have them in a healthy enviroment, they get sun and water. Could this be because I left the small one in the sun for longer? Is it destroyed or can I still save it?

Thank you!

Answers

When your seeds first sprout you shouldn't leave them in direct sunlight at first. They need time to grow and get stronger. I would suggest moving these out of the direct sunlight. Find an area that is shady and receive a little sun during the day. Only water the dirt when it's dry. Don't over water or soak the ground.

It is not dead, so give it more shade. Water it evenly. It should come back.