Growing Mandevilla

Category Flowers
Red Flower Mandevilla
These viney tropical flowers, commonly know as rocktrumpet, will add a lovely splash of color to your summertime garden. This is a guide about growing mandevilla.

The mandevilla is known for its showy flowers. There are about 100 species of this tropical American woody vine. The mandevilla produces a profusion of flowers, from spring until fall, ranging in color from white to pink or red, along its 15 - 20 foot vines. The flowers are unscented except as noted. Mandevilla is hardy in USDA zones 9 - 11, it will not tolerate temperatures lower than 45 degrees F. In all other areas it is grown as an annual or grown in a container so that it can be winterized.

The most common cultivar sold at nurseries is the Alice du Pont. The Mandeville laxa also known as the Chilean jasmine is a deciduous variety that is grown as an evergreen in frost free areas. It bears white flowers having a powerful fragrance similar to gardenia.

When growing your mandevilla outdoors, plant in a warm spot with good air circulation, in full sun or partial, dappled shade. Protect it from harsh midday sun. The ideal soil is loose and well drained containing lots of organic matter. Your mandevilla can be trellised or allowed to spread on the ground as a ground cover.

Mantevillas require regular watering to keep the soil evenly moist but not wet. Do not allow the soil to dry out. Feed your plant every other week during the spring and summer using a fertilizer high in phosphorus such as 10-20-10.

When your mandevilla is still young pinch back the vine at leaf axis, the point on the stem where the leaf buds out, to encourage more branching and a fuller plant. To keep your mandevilla looking its best, as it matures, prune out dead stems or vining stems that are rubbing against each other, as this can cause damage to the bark and make your plant more susceptible to disease.

The common garden pests that plague mandevilla vines, include scale insects, mealybugs, red spider mites, and whiteflies. Insect infested plants can be treated with a strong stream of water, insecticidal soaps, or an insecticide appropriate for this plant. Beneficial insects can also be introduced to help control the pests. Try ladybugs or lacewings.

Protecting Or Winterizing Your Mandevilla:

It is possible to allow your mandevilla to go dormant in a cool location, however there is no guarantee that it will reemerge in the spring. A better approach to growing mandevilla in zones lower than 9 is to plant it in a container and bring it inside for the winter. Mandevillas can be grown as houseplants or moved back and forth during the cold and warmer seasons. You can return it to the outdoors when temperatures average above 50 degrees and all danger of frost has passed.

Before moving your mandevilla indoors, inspect for pests and treat accordingly. Indoors, your mandevilla will need filtered light or indirect sunlight. Night time temperatures should be between 60 and 65, with daytime temperatures over 70. Prune your plant to an appropriate size for your home. It can be cut back by one half or more. Water it once a week, or as needed, to keep the soil slightly moist, not allowing it to dry out. Water until it runs out the bottom of the pot and discard the excess. In late winter or early spring prune to remove old or crowded stems. Your mandevilla will bloom in the summer on new growth. Two or three months before retuning your mandeville outdoors, begin fertilizing on a monthly cycle, using the 10-20-10 fertilizer.

If your chose to allow your mandevilla to go dormant, prune it back to between 8 and 12 inches. Place it in a dark space with a consistent temperature of between 50 and 60 degrees F. Keep the soil on the dry side by only watering approximately once a month. Bring it indoors in the spring and keep the soil moist. Move it outdoors once the temperature remains about 60F.

Source: Articles on SFGate website: Mandevilla and How to Winterize Mandevilla, Clemson University page on Mandevilla, and the The Sunset Western Garden Book.

I bought this flower recently, but am not sure what its called. Does anyone know?

By lahib

Best Answer

It is indeed a Mandevilla is probably one of the newer verities that only get several feet tall (2'-3') vs the other type that can get very tall (6'-8'). It will only get tall if it has a trellis to climb on. The lower climbing types will get bushier than the tall climbers.

Best Answer

Dipladenia is the botanical name for ir, it is also called a Mandevilla.

What kind of plant do I have? My husband gave it to me and it had no name tag on it. I love it. It is so pretty, but is it an outside plant or a houseplant? I don't know how to take care for this one. How much water, sun, can I plant it outside? Please help, I don't want it to die.

It looks like a mandevilla. Check out this link on our site: http://www.thri  Mandeville.html. It is grown outside, typically as an annual. Hope this helps.

It's a mandevilla. If you live in a climate that has harsh winters with frost, if you plant it outside, it will die in the fall.

Your best option is to keep it outside until fall, and when temps drop below 30, bring it inside, and put it back out again when spring comes or temps are above 30.

If you live somewhere warm year round, go ahead and plant it outside.

Thank u . Now I can put it by my little waterfall pond me and my husband made. I guess I wanted to make sure. thank you so much. Oh and why are my pictures showing up sideways, it won't let me do it the right way?

I live in Bedford Kentucky and the summer's are real hot but we have bad winter. The 19th was the first day of summer, can I put it outside now and then before winter,bring it in? And do I keep it in the pot it was in are plant it in the ground? I love it, it's so pretty I don't want to kill it.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
A bloom from my red mandevilla plant. Yes, it's a bit out of it's element. I took a few pictures and came back in to view them on the computer. I didn't like the background on any of them.

We have had so much rain, here. The grass is tall and very wet. Rather than traipse back through the mire to get a better shot, I just chose a picture and gave it a muted pink background. I'm not fond of pink, but it does have the ability to emphasize a red subject.

Comment Like this photo? 1