Growing New Veggies From Discarded Roots

I save money by using the bottoms of onions and leeks to grow more of the same. When I clean onions and leeks for eating, I leave a small part of the white area connected to the roots, about a half inch for green onions and the bigger cooking onions, and an inch for the leeks. Then I either place them in a small amount of water to get more roots growing or place them in a plastic bag in the fridge and check them every day for growth. If I clean them in the garden, I cut the really big roots and simply replant them where I pulled them. It's a great way to get free veggies.

I also do the same with cabbage. Cabbage roots easily, usually in a few days. I place the bottom of the cabbage in a tray with a little water. When I see good roots growing and the little cabbages sprouting on top, I cut the plant apart and plant each baby cabbage. Sometimes I get six or more free cabbages from one cabbage bottom. I do the same with big onions that that have gone bad or started to sprout. I can get three or more from a large onion. I just make sure that I cut between each part where I can see the beginnings of a new onion clear through the base of the onion and let root. Try it! I've done this for many years!

By Mary from Paris, Ohio

Answers:

Wow, this is a great tip and money saver. I didn't know you could do this with cabbage. And I buy plants. I am going to try this one. Does it work with broccoli? I have tried garlic, but all I get is green tops. Have you tried garlic?
Valery (11/13/2007)

By valery

Hi, that is a great idea! Also, to make sure you are getting the best veggies ever, use organic veggies to sprout. You can save a bunch of money that way since organic is a lot more expensive but better for us. (11/15/2007)

By Gina

With cabbages another thing you can do - cut the full sized cabbage leaving the outer loose leaves still attached to the actual plant - and the roots still in the ground - then on the part where you have cut the heart of the cabbage out - cut a cross - and surprisingly quickly you will get another four little cabbages sprouting up inside the old outer leaves. They will not get as big as the first proper cabbage - but they are good for late winter greens - do make sure the variety of cabbage you do this with is fully winter hardy.

KIND REGARDS - BORASIC LINT (11/18/2007)

By Borasic Lint

Hi, I save the seeds from my veges and fruits and dry them on a paper towel and put them up for spring. Works great! Thanks for the info.
(11/18/2007)

By Denise w

What a great idea! We had cabbage last night, and I cut the bottom off and put it in water. We'll see what happens. (02/01/2008)

By ludlow3

I want to replant the roots of the store bought green onions. I read somewhere else where a someone does this and keeps the in her kitchen window as the growing location. My question is, when you go to harvest them: do you pull the whole plant up then replant the roots or can you just snip off the tops of the plant and leave the roots where they are to regrow? (04/15/2008)

By HaleyP

Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Growing New Veggies
Cottonwood Tree
Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line
🎄