Growing Ornamental Peppers

Category Vegetables
ornamental peppers
Beautiful colorful peppers can be grown just to decorate your patio and landscape. This is a guide about growing ornamental peppers.

Q: I am looking for seeds for ornamental pepper plants. I can't find anywhere.

agc1953 from Prattville, AL

A: agc1953,

There are so many options for ornamental peppers now that I'm not sure if you're referring to a specific genus or not. Many gardeners lump all small, brightly colored peppers into the ornamental group-some edible some not. No matter the species, the plants and seeds can be hard to come by, but it's worth the effort to seek them out. Once established, peppers left outdoors are quite heat tolerant, need very little maintenance and readily seed themselves. Some cultivars also make wonderful indoor-outdoor container plants (or hanging baskets) that can be easily relocated according to the season. Ornamental peppers provide great color all through the growing season, can withstand high heat and require little care. I'm not sure exactly what you're searching for, but here are some links to ornamental pepper seeds on the web:

Hope this helps!

Ellen

Hi,

I got some on Ebay, and some at Tomato Growers Supply. Tomato Growers ships pretty fast.

Totaly Tomatoes also have ornamental peppers, but I haven't bought there.

I have bought from Totally Tomatoes and got fast service and high quality seeds.

If you have a garden I would suggest that you grow your own hot peppers (the long, red, variety). If you don't have a garden, you can purchase these peppers in season at a veggie stand or your supermarket. Then, using a long needle and ketchen twine (wear gloves so your hands wont burn) and string the peppers closely together to the length you want. Make sure you leave enough twine at the beginning to make a loop to hang from. Tie a knot at the bottom of your Pepper string and hang up in your kitchen (or wherever) They will last a long time and once they dry you can use them for seasoning..just be careful..as they dry..they get hotter! Good Luck!

I ordered some last year from SeedSavers the plants were full of fruit and they lasted for awhile. I put some in a upside down pot and they did really well.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I created a bank where my front lawn meets the street. It's covered in Bermuda. I am rooting a variegated ivy for this bank. As the pieces root, I sprig them here and there. I hope by next year, the bank will be completely covered in ivy, because I have to clip the Bermuda by hand.

Last year, I grew a pepper named 'Loco'. It was so pretty, I kept two pots on the front porch. The seed from those two scattered everywhere. This year, among a hundred other places, volunteers came up on the bank. I left them there. They are quite nice.

I think the name for these peppers, is very apropos. The plant is alive with crazy colors!

Comment Like this photo? 3

Photo Description
Last year, my neighbor gave me a first generation plant of this F1 hybrid. I saved the seed and planted them, this year. To date, I have not been able to tell any visual difference in second and first generation plants.

I haven't been able to find a release date, only that the hybrid is of British origin. It may be new to some of you. I understand that the pepper is quite hot. I haven't tasted it, and won't. I grow this pepper as an ornamental. Later, it will be even more striking with peppers of purple, red, orange, and yellow, and even pretty little mauvey flowers. Heck, it's a freebie. You can't beat that with a stick!

The back view isn't saying much. Guess I need to rotate this little jewel. Still, it gives you an idea of things to come.

Photo Location
My open field NC

Comment Like this photo? 1

I just love the color on this ornamental pepper plant. The contrast of red and green is stunning.

By DonnaPr from Florida

Ornamental pepper growing in a container.

Comment Like this photo? Yes