Growing Pea Shoots

Pea shoots make a tasty addition to salads, adding a totally new level of flavour, but can be expensive and rare to buy. However they are extremely easy to grow.

Pea seeds often come in big packs and there can be far too many for most people's vegetable plots and this is a good way to use them up

You can grow them in a pot or in the ground.

Simply scatter them thickly and cover with a shallow layer of soil or compost and keep them well watered.

Once the shoots are a decent length, snip them off with scissors before they get too tough. Leave them to grow more and you will get several crops. Once you feel you have exhausted them from plenty of cutting you can even let a few mature and get a small crop of peas before the summer ends.

What kind of peas are you growing, here? I grew snow peas and just ate them off the vine. I found they were not good for cooking, except for stir fry, and when I froze some, they turned to mush.

Eating the shoots would be a good was to extend the harvest time. I wonder if they could be grown under lights during the winter. Do you plant a particular variety?

You can use any variety

I sprout my peas in a jar on my counter. But i would recommend buying them from a source that sells them for this purpose since garden seeds may be dusted with a chemical insecticide.

yes that's why I plant them in the ground. I just snip off the shoots and they grow again