Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Peach Trees from Pits

Peach trees can be started from pits. Should you want to try growing your own trees from seed, there are some important steps to follow to improve your success. This is a guide about growing peach trees from pits.

May 15, 2012 Flag

I have a friend who lives about 50 miles away, at the foot of the mountain. On a tip from her wiser friend, she piled everything left from canning peaches in a heap in the garden. That means not only skins but peach pits and cut-out bad spots. The next spring, they started seeing little trees come up. They've been giving them away to friends as they appear, so it never gets overcrowded.

We are in zone 4-5. As to what kind of trees they will become and what kind of peaches they will produce, no one knows yet. It's only been two years. But any peach is better than no peaches!

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to have a peach tree that came up in my compost pile. The peaches were a little smaller, but so tasty. I canned lots of jars of peach nectar and ate so many. Sure do miss that tree...

February 29, 2012 Flag

Plant the pit in the ground and treat it like a seed. I know a woman whose granddaughter planted her peach pit in the garden when she was little. Now they eat peaches from that tree.

By Carol in PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 23, 2012 Flag

If you are trying to grow peaches from seed the first thing to know is that the new peach may not be the one you started with. The seed will be whatever they grafted to which sometimes is smaller but tasty. For example you have a nice large cling free peach and the seed or pit comes up. When the tree bears it, it will be the original tree not necessarily the one you ate.

As for growing from seed I have found that planting the seed on top of the ground in the fall or with very little sand or soil on it (in South Georgia) will produce a nice small peach tree by January or February. I don't cover the seeds until after they send the root down to sprout. I tried planting the seed and they all rotted. Just my experience.

As for the new varieties they are grafted to an old type tree and won't be like the seed usually. Plant it on top of the soil or barely under it and protect it from the squirrels and rodents that eat it with a wire and it will take about 5 months and cold weather to germinate. The picture is of the seeds I started in September from my peach tree (original from seed) that I like (an old white peach with cling free seed).

By gbk from GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

These are some excellent tips. I can't wait to try them.

Every time I discuss planting fruit or nut seeds with the local Ag Agent, he reminds me, I wont get the same fruit as what the seed came from.

That's fine with me. The resulting fruit may inferior or superior, you wont know til you see and taste....and you could be pleasantly surprised.

November 15, 2007 Flag

Peaches on a tree.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I want to start peach trees from pits. Do I have to remove the seed from inside the pit first? Tips from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own here.

September 5, 2010 Flag

Can I get some information on planting peach pits?

By Jeff from Indian Head, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am not any planting expert :), but the secret to planting any kind of pit is to let it dry out first.

Letting a seed dry out is a myth. But that's not the issue since it will dry quickly anyway. You can plant peach pits and they will germinate and make a tree that will actually make peaches but the quality of the peaches is usually inferior. All peach trees that nurseries sell are grafted with certain rootstock. I have several trees planted from pits and rarely get really nice, sweet peaches. Back to your question, there is little preparation. Just plant the things. But it's better to just buy a good variety of peach tree suited for your area.

I recall reading where they need to be put in the refrigerator or the freezer for a while before planting them. You could be successful just planting them but it might not germinate at all without mimicking their life conditions in nature. http://www.ehow  ch-tree-pit.html

July 24, 2012 Flag

Can I start a peach tree indoors, and if so; how do I do it?

By Patty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes

Sorry about the short one word answer but I answered 2 other posts and nothing happened so I was just checking. Peach trees can be started in the house but most of the seeds need the cold to germinate even the seedling ones. So if it is growing then carry it inside but don't worry if it loses its leaves. Cut the water and move it where it gets some light until spring and keep moving it to more light till warm enough to put outside.

June 30, 2011 Flag

I dried out peach pits last year. All the info I can find is for fresh pits. Will the information stay the same? Or do I just plant them and hope for the best?

By Candy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most peach trees are grafted, a nice tasting peach grafted onto a hardy stock that is tolerant to many of the diseases, etc in your area. You could certainly try growing a tree from a pit, but the tree may not be very hardy. Good luck!

I don't have an answer to your question, but a comment on what MooseMom said. I've heard also that you can't really grow peaches from pits, you have to buy the tree. But my mom has a peach tree in her yard that she got from her dad, who happened to be eating a peach on his porch & threw the pit into his compost pile. It sprouted & started growing, so she dug it up(much to his amusement as he told her it would never grow fruit) & planted it in her own yard down the road. Twenty years later that crazy peach tree produces so many peaches every year that mom has to prop the branches up with boards! She wishes there was something she could do to make it stop producing! LOL!

Good luck with your peach pit, I hope it grows for you!

September 27, 2011 Flag

How do I start a peach tree from the pits I've saved?

By Gretchen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Find a good location with sun and shade. Then, dig a hole about 6 inches deep. Put a little water in the hole, place the dried pit in the bottom and fill in the hole with dirt. Mound some dirt on top, then water well. You should probably water it every day to keep it moist. It will take a while for the seed to sprout and grow, so don't give up. Just be patient and wait.

October 30, 2013 Flag

I'm a first time peach planter and I just wanted to know, but how far down do I need to plant the seed?

By Cynthia R. from Temple, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2012 Flag

I recently was given a beautiful peach; it was sooo good. I really want to plant the pit in some soil and grow the pit into a beautiful peach tree someday. But, don't know that it will happen that way. How would I do that? Can I put the pit into soil and water it as necessary and someday get a peach tree?

Please advise me, thanks for all your help folks! :-D

By Pati

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 5, 2010 Flag

How do you prepare peach pits to plant right from the peach?

By kattim23 from Estill, SC

Answers:

Planting Peach Pits

Lots of info. about planting peach pits, you can even start them indoors. michiganpeach.org (07/01/2009)

By Fortunately

Planting Peach Pits

Soak in white vinegar, undiluted for a couple of weeks, and then plant. Mimics passing through the gut of an animal which helps many hard seeds sprout. (07/01/2009)

By PIKKA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 1, 2009 Flag
By Ellen Brown

Q: A friend brought us peaches from a tree in his yard and these are the sweetest, juiciest peaches I've ever had. I saved some pits, but now don't have any idea how to plant them. I would appreciate any help in telling me how or even if I can plant them. We have peach trees, but they were bought as trees, as was his. I have no idea what kind of peaches they are and neither does he. The tree is about 5 years old.

Thank you for any help.
Linda

A:

You can certainly plant the pit from your neighbor's peach tree, but understand that the resulting tree (and fruit) is unlikely to look or taste like your neighbor's. This is because the peach pit (seed) from the peach you ate was the result of the pollination of one peach flower by the pollination of another peach flower-possibly from another peach tree. This results in offspring that will always differ from both parents. Still, it's worth trying just to see what happens. You'll need to stratify the pit (mimic cold conditions) artificially or by Mother Nature. To do this naturally, plant the pit (about 4 inches deep) this fall and cover with an inch of straw or pine needles. Water thoroughly. You can cover the planting with a small screen to prevent garden critters from digging it up. Remove the screen when the seed starts to sprout. For artificial stratification, place the pit in an air-tight bag filled with moist peat moss, a potting medium or paper towels and place in your refrigerator's crisper for at least 3 months. Plant it outdoors in the spring.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Planting Peach Pits

Save peach pits to plant.

If the pit has dried out, soak it overnight in water. Plant in 2 to 3inches of potting medium. Some pits will germinate after 2 or 3 weeks, some after 2 or 3 or more months. Some may not germinate at all, so try different varieties.

Peach pits sometimes germinate better after a cold treatment: Put the pit in a zip lock bag with enough potting medium to cover. The soil should be just barely moist. Put the zip lock bag in a refrigerator. It may take 2 to 3 months to see growth. Transplant to a pot once the root is a 1/2 inch or more in length. This procedure is called stratification. Plant in the spring, after danger of frost. You will not receive fruit for the first 3-5 years. (09/10/2005)

By Kelly

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesAugust 21, 2011
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Cottonwood Tree
Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 10:24:26 PM on 10.0.0.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.