Growing Perennial Vinca

Category Perennials
Perennial vinca, also known as periwinkle, can make for a lovely lush ground cover. This is a guide about growing perennial vinca.

I have found Periwinkle (vinca) to be a plant that will live almost under any condition in California. I couldn't get anything to grow in a border along my shady sidewalk and I decided to try vinca. My parents bought a house in 1946 that had a bank of vinca already there. It is in a semi shady spot and my dad never watered it the whole summer, year after year. (I own the house now and the plants are still in great condition.)

I transplanted some out here by the roots and almost none of it died. It is flourishing in the hot sun and shade. We have a well that dries up in the summer if we aren't careful and it uses little water.

We are on 22 acres of oak woodland and the many deer and gophers don't bother it.

By Rae from Templeton, CA

Your right nothing kills Vinca! But others should be careful using it b/c it spreads like kudzu. And its really bad to jump over to another flower bed and will choke out all your flowers. It's pretty much impossible to get rid of but works as a great ground covering. I also like lambs ear, its very pretty and soft. Not quite as invasive.

I have some rock walls that I would like to have sedum and vinca grow in the wall. I've tried adding some dirt and in some places that was easy. But the vinca died, which I thought was supposed to be a hardy plant. I've been transplanting stuff for years so this isn't a new thing. Any ideas why it died? My neighbor has it all over her walls and it is beautiful.

Also, and suggestions on how to anchor some other plants to the walls?
Thanks.

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

And I should add that the rock wall is vertical, literally a wall with no slope. thanks!

You don't say how much soil was there for the vinca roots. With insufficient soil, the roots die off very quickly. I have hen and chicks in my rock wall, and they do well there. I put them in as I built the wall, so they can root into the soil behind them. I've tried adding plants after the wall was built, but didn't have any luck. Hope this helps.

I just planted Vinca in pots yesterday, and today they are droopy and curling. I fertilized, and watered. It is cool today, only in the low 50's, the other annuals are just fine. What happened?

Sherrie from Crystal Lake, IL

It may be just transplant shock in which case they will recover quickly. But it may also be from excess fertilizer if the stems themselves are curling. Normally it's best to let transplants adjust first before fertilizing. I'd suggest you give them a couple of days in the cool shade to see if they recover, no additional fertilizer or water. You will know within 2-3 days if they will make it or need to be replaced.

Gertie

Maybe just a tad wet, if they are the 'vinca rosea'. I know they liked to be in loose well drained soil when transplanted. Also make sure they are not too crowded. The newer hybrids are more susceptible to wilt and rot disease, so if you just planted them yesterday, I might even re pot in dry soil where they can adjust.

How can I kill vinca minor, periwinkle, that I am trying to remove to change the landscape? What weed killer will work on the emerging vines?

By Bryson from Salt Lake City, UT

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This vinca is a volunteer in my front flower bed. I just love how cheery and hardy these plants are. There are several that have come up next to other plants where landscape cloth has been cut. Both pink and white flowers have come up.

By Viki

Dew on Pink Vinca

Comment Like this photo? 2

I like the pink vinca. and would plant it under a very large Oak Tree. Do you think it would grow there? All so can a dog walk on it and not kill it?

Reply Like this photo? Yes