Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Sprouts

Growing your own sprouts at home can be fun and will ensure that you always have fresh sprouts on hand. This is a guide about growing sprouts.

June 16, 2015 Flag

Sprouting jars are about $20 in your local healthfood store.

Instead, pick up either a sheet or a pre-cut plastic needlepoint canvas from your local dollar or craft store and cut them to fit the top your Mason jar and screw on with the canning ring!

Ta-Da!

Now you can sprout your seeds for salads or to start seeds for your garden in it!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great idea! I like alfalfa, radish, and bean sprouts as a mix. You can buy them at the store under "salad mix" but growing your own is faster and cheap... plus it's a great way to show little ones the way things grow. Would give you two thumbs up if I could!

January 23, 2014 Flag

I made a seed sprouter to sprout my own seeds for my salads, plus I always sprout my seeds before I plant them in my garden. This reduces the need to wait to see if my seeds will start growing, then weeding out others. Less cost to only grow what you want instead of wasting money on seeds that either don't grow or are pulled to thin out the crop!

Use a small jelly jar for canning or any smaller jar. Get a plastic lid from some other container and punch holes with a hole punch around it. My seeds didn't come out since I used larger seeds but I even used lentils and they didn't come out either. Only VERY SMALL seeds might and then you might want to put a layer of cheese cloth or a nylon on the top of the jar and screw the ringed lid on! If you use a solid jar top, punch some holes in the top with an awl.

You can pour water directly into the holes, shake and pour back out. I keep mine on the window sill over my kitchen sink and do it daily. Depending on the seed, they will start sprouting between one and two weeks!

Great for salads, crunchy and fresh. Great to sprout your new garden seeds for planting too!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is an awesome idea!

August 27, 2010 Flag

Growing vegetable sprouts is fun, economical, and easy to do yourself. Not only are sprouts delicious, but they are also packed full of nutrients like protein, fiber, and vitamin C. Here are two quick and easy ways to sprout vegetable seeds at home, one using the traditional jar method, and the other using a cookie sheet.

Choosing Seeds for Sprouting

Most everyone is familiar with bean and alfalfa sprouts, but sprouts can be grown from a variety of seeds including lentils, soybean, peas and chickpeas, celery, radish, broccoli, cabbage, and sunflowers. Grass seed like rye, barley, wheat and buckwheat are also popular for sprouting, and like your lawn, will continue to grow and produce a second crop after being cut.

When choosing seeds for sprouting, look for organic seeds that have not been treated with chemical preservatives. These can be found in health food stores, in catalogs, or online. Different seeds produce sprouts with very distinctive flavors. If you're unsure about what to try, many companies offer sampler packs that include several different types of their most popular seeds.

Jar Sprouting

Materials Needed:

Sprouting lids are available that are designed to fit Ball Mason jars for a cost of around $4.00. Look for them at grocery stores, health food stores or you can order them online. The advantage to using them is that they allow for convenient drainage while also providing good air circulation so the seeds can breathe. I recommend getting the plastic mesh lids instead of steel mesh, which have a tendency to rust around the edges.

Directions:

Tips:

The Cookie Sheet Method

Without proper air circulation and drainage, the moist, humid environment of a sprouting jar can encourage mold and bacteria to growth. For this reason, some people may prefer the cookie sheet method, which allows the sprouts to grow vertically in the open air rather than in a tangled clump. This is also a good method for tiny seeds that are difficult to strain.

Materials Needed:

Directions:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ellen,

This is so timely! I haven't been able to find the multi-sprouts at my grocery lately. They're limited to alfalfa sprouts only. I'm going to take your tips and hope to enjoy fresh sprouts on our salads.

Thank you.

Laura

January 3, 2017 Flag

Growing Sprouts In A Jar - Sprout Garden

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing sprouts next to your kitchen sink. You can easily add fresh veggies to your diet by growing various sprouts in a small space on your kitchen counter.

July 27, 2011 Flag

Make your own sprouts with lentils or raw shelled sunflower seeds in 3 days. Put 1/4 cup of them in a jar and rubber-band a scrap of nylon net onto the top of the jar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 12, 2010 Flag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fashion an inexpensive grow jar from a clean plastic drink bottle, netting (or plastic canvas) and a rubber band. Take a strip of plastic canvas about an inch wide and place it around the top of the bottle, after the bottle neck is removed.

April 23, 2013 Flag

I searched online for directions on making bean sprouts and found that a gadget is sold that resembled my salad spinner, so I tried using what I had and it works very well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 9, 2010 Flag

Growing Your Own Sprouts

Frugal sprouting bin from free clear plastic food container, file clips, and gauze or netting.Start with a clean clear plastic container and a piece of gauze or netting to fit snuggly over the top of the container.

August 28, 2006 Flag

I do well growing mung beans in a jar and get good bean sprouts, but when I have tried to grow tiny alfalfa and radish seeds in jars and trays I have problems.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Videos

February 27, 2012 Flag

A nice video about growing bean sprouts using a sprouting jar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 6, 2005 Flag

How do I grow bean sprouts from mung beans? One that is crisp and juicy like that purchased fresh from grocers. My own efforts, none-too-successful involving rinsing sprouted beans twice a day and keeping them in the dark in decent temperature until maturity inevitably produced stuff that were long, thin and chewy.

YT in London

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Here's a link to a site for sprouts:

http://www.spro  /print/mung.html

You might figure out what you are doing wrong or if it is the beans themselves that are too old. I used to make them years ago, but don't remember much about it.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Thanks, Susan, for info about site that gives

sprouting instructions.

YT

I have sprouted beans and would like to plant them.

Do I put the sprouted part down into the earth?

December 14, 2010 Flag

How do you grow alfalfa sprouts in jars? They could be bean sprouts or any other kind of sprouts, too.

By Joan from Calgary, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Soak alfalfa seeds in water for several hours or overnight. (I usually use about 2 tablespoons which makes approximately 2 cups of sprouts for me). Then using a tea strainer with holes smaller than the alfalfa seeds, drain and add fresh water each day for several days, or until the sprouts are the size you want. Put the sprouts in a large bowl of water and swirl them around with your hands in order to get some of the seeds to fall off before draining water off. (I use a colander or a large tea strainer.) If you want them to be a darker green, put them in a sunny window for several hours before storing them in a covered jar or bowl in the refrigerator.

The "thrifty" method would be to use a recycled jar and poke tiny holes in the lid. Or, you could use a quart jar, and a canning ring and for the lid use cheese cloth, or you can buy for $5 a sprouting lid, which is a lid with a screen top. Add your seeds to the jar with water, let soak, then drain of the water. Refill daily, let sit in the water a couple hours then drain. Do daily, until they sprout.

February 9, 2010 Flag

Growing Your Own Sprouts

Two wonderful ideas I happened across this month are: Window Farms and sprouting (please don't confuse "window farms" with "windowsill gardens"). Neither of the two are exactly new ideas, but having fresh homegrown veggies in the winter has a great deal of appeal to me and I am MUCH interested in doing both!

YouTube has a lot of videos about both of the two ideas above and I watched in awe to learn that in tiny apartments in crowded cities a whole fresh homegrown salad can be grown PER WEEK using the concept given in the videos!

Sprouting also has a lot of appeal to me. You don't really need all the commercial items available to sprout successfully! A bulk store near me carries several different sprouting seeds. I called a seed store and was told they can't sell their seeds as "sprouting seeds" without a special room to keep them and a separate scale on which to weigh them. So they don't advertise them as such. A person would have to be knowledgeable enough on their own to decide which are and which are not safe for this particular purpose. Also you "spend" 1 part seeds and "earn" 7 parts sprouts! So it is a good way to stretch food inexpensively.

The picture is of old flower seeds I wasn't sure about being too old or not. I am sprouting in a recycled plastic cookie box and dryer lint ! "Never say never!"

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Editor's Note: Buy sprouting seeds from a natural foods store or seed supplier that are untreated seeds for sprouting. You can also use your own seeds leftover from last year that you have collected, if they were grown without chemicals. Don't use the growing seeds right out of the packets because many have been treated with fungicides which wouldn't be good to eat.

Window Farms

I decided to further my little sprout experiment with the flower seeds with the expired shelf life and they are doing quite well! I sandwiched them between clear plastic wrap doubled over so I could tape them to the window. (using a try of some sort under the plastic wrap helps). Leave about 1/2 to fold over and a little at the top so you can get moisture to them)

It's fun to see the sprouts with the full blown winter scene in the background! I just placed an online order for a variety of seeds/beans so I will soon be eating much preferred RAW food and hopefully become the picture of youth! ;)

I won't leave them there in the night. We are under a windchill advisory for -22F and I wouldn't want my sprouts to take chill and die !

By melody_yesterday

RE: Growing Your Own Sprouts

Jars

Here are my lentils I wait eagerly for! It is day 2 for them. I started a few blackeyed peas too. It is so much fun!

The jar is on it's side because more seeds can get maximum light.

I secured a piece of netting on the jar mouth with a rubber band as shown in some videos I watched.It works fine and is tight enough that I can do the rinse/drains needed without removing the sprouts from the jar.

By melody_yesterday

RE: Growing Your Own Sprouts

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 7, 2010 Flag

How do I grow alfalfa sprouts without buying the growing kit? I bought organic seeds, but I am not sure how to grow them at home.

By gran1cook from OK

Sherbet Tub

I use a big opaque sherbet tub (45 oz) size or a larger to-go container (ones with a clear top). I mix alfalfa and radish seeds together. Leave them in water for 24 hrs, kept in the dark and rinsed several times that first day. I use a fine mesh colander to rinse. After 3-5 days and rinsed every day, when they look sprouted, I put in a sunny window to green, then keep in frig and enjoy.

By Dj402

Mason Jars

I use wide mouth Mason canning jars with canning lid rims and plastic screen. I add 2 soup spoons of alfalfa seeds, a cup of water, and soak for 24 hours. Then rinse and store at an angle upside down. They are rinsed twice a day until ready to eat. The sprouts love growing at about 75 - 80 degrees F.

By Sappie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Growing VegetablesFebruary 27, 2012
Brussels Sprouts in Dish
Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Brussels Sprouts
Growing Brussels Sprouts
Growing Sprouts Next to Your Kitchen Sink
Frozen Brussels Sprouts
Freezing Brussels Sprouts
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 11:39:19 PM on 10.0.2.185 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.