Growing Sunflowers in Containers

I am going to grow sunflowers in an old wash tub. Do I need to put some holes in the bottom of tub for drainage? Does it need to have rocks in the bottom as well?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Shawna from Bossier City, LA

Growing Sunflowers in Containers

Yes, drill some holes in the bottom of tub for drainage. And as for the rocks, they aren't necessary. (03/31/2010)

Growing Sunflowers in Containers

I've never tried them in containers, but I don't see why they wouldn't do ok! They don't root very deep, so any container 10 or more inches deep should be fine! The lady in the above article was using an old washtub, with drain holes in the bottom. I think it'd be an even better idea to have something underneath the container to catch/hold the water, so it can wick up through the soil if the soil becomes dry.

If you're using a big container and don't want it to be so heavy you can't move it, use empty pop or water bottles (with lids on!) in the bottom. The dirt will filter down through/around them, so it'll still wick up moisture from your drain-pan, but the pot won't weigh a ton, like it would with rocks in the bottom! I've done this in a huge pot, and it works well so far--2 or 3 years. Good luck! (Oh! Make sure your sunflowers have stakes if they're going to be exposed to a lot of wind!) (04/01/2010)

By janiebean

Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Growing Sunflowers in Containers
Ants Eating Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Growing Sunflowers
Bouquet of sunflowers.
Making a Sunflower Wedding Bouquet
A woman transplanting a sunflower.
Transplanting Sunflowers