Growing Thicker Hair

Category Hair Care
thick red hair
Making your hair appear thicker can make your hair style look better. This guide is about growing thick hair.

What homemade recipe can I use to make my hair appear thicker or be thicker?

By carmen1951 from Houston, TX

Have no idea about Rosemary, but I prefer to produce my own body production thickness by taking hair, skin,and nails vitamin (all in one), about $4.00, from Dollar General which works VERY well and quickly in all three areas. Nothing else that I have found except Mane n' Tail, which varies from bottle to bottle for some reason, and often makes my hair greasy rather than thick. Follow instructions on either and you can't go wrong. Remember that your hair also needs ZINC as well to grow and thicken and multi-vits/ minerals are never quite "complete". God bless, : )

Thanks for all your answers! God bless.

I've noticed quite a difference in my hair now. I'm taking the supplement "Biotin". I'm also using coconut oil to moisturize my scalp once a week.

My diet is full of vitamins and minerals that are needed for my hair growing, but it's still not growing well. I don't lose my hair; my problem is that it's dry and tired and it's not growing well!

By mehrnoush

Sometimes just stimulating your scalp can encourage hair growth, you can massage you scalp gently with a brush or with your fingers. If your hair is dry you can incorporate more oils and healthy fats into your diet (like avocado and nut fats/oils) Also a once per week treatment of soaking your hair in olive oil for 10-15 minutes can be extremely helpful. Just make sure that you lather shampoo into your hair before adding any water to rinse out the olive oil as the oil and water do not mix and it can make it very difficult to get the oil out of your hair. :)

My hair was the same way. I started taking Flaxseed Oil capsules twice a day. 1,300 mg per softgel capsule. My beautician can see the difference.

Greetings,

Hair and finger and toenails all thrive on silicon, an element found in abundance in the herb, horsetail grass.

It takes about three weeks to even begin to see and feel the difference. But, think how long it takes for hair to grow an inch or nails to grow out from the nail bed.... Patience is needed to experience the results, longterm.

Nature's Way, online, can be found on sale for 50% off. My herbalist recommended taking 6 capsules a day, 2 in the AM, 2 in the afternoon, and 2 before bed. One hundred will last about 18 days. Buy several bottles to last as long as six months, at a lower price.

I am looking for an inexpensive as well as effective way to not only stop hair thinning, but also to promote thick full healthy hair growth. I would like to accomplish this in a short time period and with lasting results.

Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

By Sadie Lynn from USA

To thicken hour hair naturally, eat a lot of natural protein such as eggs, beef and beans. Also, prenatal vitamins work well. There is more information online about this.

At most health food stores you can buy a food additive called "Polysorbate 80, it's an emulsifier that adheres to oils. What you do is massage it into your scalp for 10 minutes before you shampoo. This product helps stop hair loss due to excess oil build up & can sometimes work for men that are beginning to loose their hair.

But all hair grows in cycles.Some races have a longer hair growth cycle than others. This is why you'll often see an Asian women with super-long hair while you will rarely see an African-American women with long hair. I have naturally-curly hair that tends to frizz so I often shop in the hair product area for Black women & I am always blow away by all the products that have the name "Hair Growth" in them. No product can make your hair grow! The best you can do is to stop excess hair loss.

You can't beat a good diet with enough protein & a multi vitamin. Gelatin supplements don't work & any product that guarantees hair growth are not being honest. Just use a mild shampoo (like a sulfate-free shampoo made for people who dye their hair) & a good conditioner. Also, use a good hair brush that doesn't break or damage your hair. I also like to use a leave-in conditioner/detangleler (like Infusium-23) so I don't have to tug on knots. Keep your scalp clean, but don't wash your hair every day, twice a week is usually enough. To much washing will make your scalp rebel & make even more oil!

I went to the dermatologist for the same problem. Unless you use a product like Rogaine, or have hair woven in, there isn't anything you can do. Mine thinned because of surgery, stress, etc. It is now thickening on it's own. The doctor wasn't really able to help at all.

How do you grow thick hair?

Thanks for all answers,
Christine from Walkerton, IN

Answers:

Growing Thick Hair

Hi, I had a friend with masses of beautiful thick hair and I asked her what the secret was. She told me that she took prenatal vitamins, even though she wasn't planning on getting pregnant. Since then, I have heard about this technique from more people.

Good luck! (03/30/2006)

By Jess StewartMaize

Growing Thick Hair

On my thin hair, to prevent any more from coming out, I use Flax seed Oil Capsules 2T/Daily 1000 Mg each. I have used this for years. It takes several months before you will see any results. (03/30/2006)

By Ace00

Growing Thick Hair

I have the opposite problem. My hair is really thick. When it gets a certain length I cut it because it gets so heavy it gives me headaches. When I have my hair in a ponytail I like to have the tie on tight and high on my hair and that also gives me headaches. The only way, other than surgical, to thin it out is to have the hairdresser use thinning shears to thin it out.

The moral of the story is to be careful what you wish for. (03/31/2006)

By Ziggee

Growing Thick Hair

Years ago, I used Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner. This was then a product used on horses, but I noticed it on the shelves at Walmart recently. You can also get it from a farm supply store. It made my hair a tad bit oily, but it will make it thick and grow like crazy. Also, make sure that you massage the scalp several times a day to increase blood flow. (03/31/2006)

By justmyimagination2002

Growing Thick Hair

Not so sure if this will thicken you hair, but I have been taking 1500 mcg of Biotin every night for the past 3 months. I have noticed a difference in the health of my hair *plus my skin and fingernails. (04/08/2006)

By ginann

Growing Thick Hair

Massage coconut milk or aloe vera gel into the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes, rinse with warm water. Repeat 3 times a week. (04/14/2006)

By Zameera

Growing Thick Hair

I've heard that prenatal vitamins work great for giving you healthy hair too. Keep in mind that thick hair is a genetic trait. You either have it or some variation of it. So I would expect to get nice shiny, healthy 'thicker' hair, but not a big thick mane of hair like we see in magazines and advertisements so often. (04/15/2006)

By Heather

Growing Thick Hair

Be careful of prenatal vitamins if you are over 50 yrs. Too much iron is very bad after 50 and also because of menopause. After 50 you don't need as much iron as you do during child bearing yrs. There are some fantastic high potency vitamins out there, with less iron and will help in the same way. (04/15/2006)

Growing Thick Hair

You can go to the drug store and get the product called "HAIR and NAILS," and it really works. My beautician was surprised at my age how thick my hair was. I'm 55 yrs. (05/07/2006)

By jbaby7162000

Growing Thick Hair

Use bay rum, and don't wash your hair every day. ;) (05/10/2008)

By Random

Growing Thick Hair

I've heard most of the things that others have said: massage scalp, hair, skin and nail vitamins (silica, biotin), overnight treatment with coconut oil, and Mane and Tail (contains silica). (08/12/2008)

By Gina

Growing Thick Hair

The only mask for hair that helped me is onion juice. It stinks, but it's worth it. If you do it twice a week, it will be very good. But the thing is you have to stick to it and actually do it. I was doing it for a month already. I was rubbing in onion juice into my scalp, and in about two weeks I noticed a lot of little new thick hairs growing and it stopped falling out. But also, it's a good idea to take vitamins and have a balanced diet so you can take care of your hair inside out. (02/16/2010)

By kam22

Does anyone have any tips on thickening hair and not having a dry effect?

Nisbah

Answers:

Thicker Hair

There are products on the market to produce this effect. CVS sells hair thickening products. The shampoo is in the section with dandruff shampoos and products for men going bald. Best of luck. (07/26/2006)

By Carol in PA

Thicker Hair

Herbs: Horsetail Herb extract caps, 2 daily, plus Bio-Zinc caps of about 50 mg. daily, and Acidophilus with Fos of one daily. This will strengthen new growth reliably unless you have male-patterned baldness. (07/30/2006)

By Lynda

Thicker Hair

Stop using shampoo. It's just something we think we need. It actually strips the hair far too harshly and weakens it at the roots causing it to fall out and break easier. (We then buy all the anti frizz products to try and fix the problem not the cause.)

All we actually need to 'clean' the hair is conditioner alone. The chemicals in the conditioner will clean and replenish the hair without the harsh chemical cleaner damage caused by the shampoo.

I read about this two weeks ago (interview transcript from a dermatologist on ABC TV in Australia) and stopped using it straight away as I have fine thin frizzy hair.

Apparently it can take two weeks or more for your hair to adjust. Mine had two days where I had to wash it twice a day if I wanted to go out at night (also cause it's fairly thin hair) but after two weeks it's adjusting, was softer right from the start and stopped falling out immediately.

I can actually run my hands through it during blow drying and washing and not lose a strand. Whereas before I'd lose at least one with every tug (you may want to protect it with mousse when blow drying). I think my flyaways up top are growing out, and there are less new ones.

Make sure you use plenty of conditioner, which is okay cause you won't have to buy shampoo as well after all. I don't think I will ever use shampoo again. (07/30/2006)

By nicedevil

Thicker Hair

I read about these tips a few years back and it worked for me. I hope you have good luck with it too.

Towel dry your hair after shampooing. Blow dry your hair on medium heat until around 70% dry. This takes some practice to find the exact drying time. You will be able to tell after a while. Then you can do one or all of these below-

1. Tightly twist small amounts of hair, like one or two inches of hair as you blow dry. Use a diffuser - my hairdresser said that if I didn't use a diffuser, just hot air blowing on my hair would straighten it out, not add volume. I found this to be true.

Do your entire head in small sections. I put some hot rollers in and I have volume without drying out my hair.

2. But I think the best way that worked for me is this. I found a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment that had long 'fingers' or 'prongs'. The hot air came out of these prongs as well as out of the base of the diffuser. I bought it at Target or Walmart - it's not expensive at all.
The brand is: Revlon Model RV484.

After my hair is 80% dry, I use my diffuser in small sections using a circular motion against my scalp. I use the circular motion until each section of my hair is dry. My hair comes out full of volume after I do my whole head. I use hot rollers in it after that. My hair stays full for 2-3 days.

But I think that the styling product I use has a major effect as far as shine goes, though. It's about the best product that I have ever used: Paul Mitchell's Modern Elixirs Styling Serum.

My hair is colored and tends to get dry. This adds real shine and bounce. My hair doesn't get greasy and is not greasy the next day either. Not heavy at all either. It helps with frizziness, but is not a miracle worker since I live in Houston, TX and it is very humid and hot here most of the year.

Good Luck! (09/07/2007)

By metroplex

Thicker Hair

To restore moisture to your skin and hair, supplement your diet with Evening Primrose Oil. These capsules provide an essential fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), which promotes the healthy growth of skin and hair. I use this twice a day and have noticed a difference. (09/10/2007)

By Wanda