Growing Vegetables in a Greenhouse

Category Vegetables
You can get a head start on your garden or grow vegetables year round in a greenhouse. This is a guide about growing vegetables in a greenhouse.

We recently needed a shade cloth for our greenhouse. As my husband is currently laid-off, we couldn't afford to buy one really. So we went to the local thrift store (which supports the local animal shelter, yay for that!) and bought twin sized sheets.

We tacked and stapled them up to the rafters, and they are doing a fabulous job. Cooled the greenhouse off quite a bit, and the lettuce and cucumbers are much happier.

That's a great idea! I pray that your hubby finds the job soon!

Greenhouses allow you to extend your growing season, raise new types of plants, and maintain total control over growing conditions. Fortunately, you no longer have to be a professional plant grower to enjoy the benefits of owning one. From simple, unheated structures that fit on a porch or patio to elaborate climate-controlled conservatories designed for your backyard, there are styles and prices available to suit every gardener's taste and budget. If you're thinking about getting into greenhouse gardening, here are some things to consider.

Budget and Size

Whether you're buying a kit or building your own, greenhouses come in a range of sizes and prices. With a little research and planning, you can easily find a style that suits your space, budget, and growing needs.

Light & Location

The location of your greenhouse is key. It needs access to full sun in order to trap solar energy and create the ideal growing environment for your plants. There are lots of ways to add shade to a greenhouse, but a site without full sun will limit the types of plants you can grow, or make it necessary to install supplemental lighting.

Heating & Ventilation

Greenhouses need to be kept warm, however, keeping them from overheating during unpredictable weather is also important for both plant growth and disease control.

What You Can Grow

Greenhouses will allow you to save money on bedding plants by making it easy for you to grow your own. They also allow you to try fruits, vegetables, and flowers that require a longer (or warmer) season than you can give them outdoors. When shopping for seeds and plants look for the following:

I'd love a greenhouse, but space is an issue. I wonder how small you can go?

With these small cheap greenhouses that are plastic covered and are good for propagating seeds and cuttings, this a good way to water your seed trays and pots without the real risk of drenching and getting droop and rot.

I have a new 1400 sq. ft. greenhouse (not a kit) that has just been finished. I want to grow fruits and vegetables commercially and I do have a lot in mind, but I need to have some input from your readers since they all seem to have good level advice. I have grown large gardens, which I will continue to do, but the greenhouse is different. Please let me hear from all of you. Thanks in advance.

By Nikki from ID

The first thing to do is make sure that any seeds (or plants you want to propagate) you're thinking of using, are not covered by a patent. It is against the law in the US to sell any plant that is under patent (unless it's your patent, of course).

The next thing to do is contact your local extension office (Google the nearest university plus the words cooperative extension service) and make sure that you understand the law for your area for market gardening-whether you plan to sell transplants or harvested produce. There are very strict laws governing the activity and you could find yourself in very serious trouble if you don't know the laws.

Many small market gardeners have found themselves facing FDA and other ag concern agents. The laws can be picayune, but they can also save lives-a lot of e.coli, and other potentially fatal illness has been traced back to the greenhouse or garden-not knowing is no excuse.

Better to start out right-know the laws and practice the good husbandry required to protect your customers.

This summer I didn't get a lot out of my garden due to all the wet weather and me having surgery. I am wondering if I can raise summer food in a greenhouse? Or does it have to be winter vegetables? I'd like to have more tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc. through the winter without having to pay a fortune for them in a grocery store.

Maybe it needs some solar heat? Does anyone know how to set up solar heat? The greenhouse I'm talking about isn't anything fancy, just a few boards and plastic. The idea here is to save money not waste it. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Fritzbaby2000 from Havana, AR

I don't know anything about solar heat but you can find it online. Just search for"growing summer vegetables with solar heat". Alot of info there, good luck.

How do you grow vegetables in a hothouse? I would like to grow them in the winter.

By Beverly M