Growing a Cherry Tree from Seed

How many cherry pits should I plant in one hole to get a good size tree to grow?

By Wanda M

Best Answer

Cherry pits should be planted in the late Fall because they need the cold weather of Winter to germinate in the Spring; this is called "stratification". I would plant several pits (but not in the same hole) to make sure you get at least one or two to sprout and when they are around 18 inches high, transplant them to their permanent location.

You can plant any kind of seed in any season if you put them in the fridge for a couple of weeks. They germinate wonderfully. Where I live is a fruit belt. Everything is grown here. Apples,peaches,plums, cherries, grapes for wine. I am currently trying to grow a lemon tree. Even though we have shorter summers than the U.S. I have one growing in a pot outside my apartment. it is doing pretty good. It's acutally sitting in the pot along with my geraniums in bright sun. it gets pretty hot here but no as long as the U.S. as we are quite a bit north from from the U.S. but we do very well here. Winters are quite short and not so cold as other parts of the country. So just put your stones in the fridge for a short while,just a week or so and also if you buy any seeds from a dealer put them in the fridge also and you'll get better germination from them. Doesn't matter if they are veggetables or flowers they all do well if they winter over in your fridge for a couple of weeks.

Try planting some cherry pits in a small flower vase and see if they sprout. If nothing grows, you would be better off purchasing a small cherry tree from a nursery.

growing a cherry tree from a pit.
Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJune 4, 2011
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
🎉
🎄