Growing a Crown of Thorns

This slow growing succulent, is characterized by thorny woody stems and dainty flowers. It can be grown as a houseplant or an outdoor shrub. This is a guide about growing a crown of thorns.

My question is about the plant called crown of thorns. We have these plants in our garden and they look very colorful, but my neighbor said the thorns can cause cancer, meaning if you accidentally touched and were wounded by its thorns it can cause cancer. Is it true? I want to know if I can keep this plant in our backyard or need remove it? Please help me.

By LAR C.

The plant is toxic and the sap can cause skin irritation, but I don't think it will give you cancer! Many popular garden plants are in fact toxic but people still grow them. If you have small children or pets who might be tempted to mess with the plants you might consider removing them, but it's really up to you.

Love these nosy neighbors with their old wives tales. I have one like that. Many plants are somewhat toxic and can cause skin irritation. It's the plant's defense against predators. A lot of these plants are common in people's yards and houses.

The Crown of Thorns plant has a religious name, and those tend to have stories or superstitions associated with them.

A web search came up with this site. Take a look at it. http://www.wana  of-thorns-plant/ Then tell your nosy neighbor that she needs to do some more research. It looks like it might make you itch or it might kill you, but nothing is said about Cancer.

My crown of thorns has black spots on the leaves. What seems to be the problem? Thank you.

By Sharon

Can crown of thorn cause cancer?

I am from India. Can the crown of thorns plant cause cancer? Now a days the news spreads here. Is it true or not?

By anish_j_kings

My crown of thorns plant is in the ground with full sun. In the past few days at least one fourth of the leaves have turned yellow with black spots.
Can you say why or what happened?

By Lin from Stuart, FL

Anonymous

Could be a fungus. Keep the leaves as dry as possible. The plant should be kept on the dry side, so don't water it like your grass.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This beautiful crown of thorns sits on my driveway in Nassau Bahamas with potted bromeliad. This picture was taken at about 6.30 A.M., just as the sun rose and the dew had not yet dried.