Growing a Privet Hedge

Category Perennials
A hedge can make a good property line definition and create privacy. This guide is about growing a privet hedge.

Privet branch against a white background

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about rooting privet hedge branches. Many hedges and shrubs can successfully be started by rooting clippings.

At this time of year the trimming of my privet hedges and the ensuing clean up is a large chore, I usually can find someone interested in getting some clippings to start their own hedges. This year it will be my son and daughter-in-law. I have helped start at least three yards with free hedges this way. It offers me free help with the chore and provides a free hedge that will grow thick and tall within the next two years to those that help me. All at no cost, sort of like the friendship bread in a way.

By Terry M.

sorry couldn't get my log in to work but you simply put it in water in a bucket to root is all. I am not sure of forsythia clippings I have only done the privet hedges this way

Within the last week I planted northern privet for a hedge/screen. Should I fertilize and what do I use? Most seedlings are 1-2 feet in height. They are v shaped with only 2 branches.

By Barb