Growing a Tree from a Willow Cutting

On Valentine's Day 2007, I received some roses with beautiful greenery! On of the pieces of greenery was a Curly Willow branch which is growing it's leaves. I live in Houston, Texas and would like to know exactly what to do to grow this Curly Willow Tree. The florist said a lot of the greenery they put in their vases comes from out of the country. So I'm not sure if this one will live here. I have it still in the vase with clean water along with other greenery that came in the vase. Also my yard is clay so I need to know what to do! I'd love to have this as a tree in my back yard. Should I put root hormone on the bottom of the stem and put it in a pot with Miracle Grow Soil?

Jo Ann

Plant It

As long as it has roots now. You will have to dig a big enough hole and loosen up the soil around it. Then I would add some sand to all of the clay that has to go around the tree. Keep watering every day for a week then it should be just fine.

By Joyce

Photo of a large weeping willow tree.
Starting a Weeping Willow Tree from a Cutting
Pussy Willow Plant
Starting a Pussy Willow Plant from a Branch
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Photo of a large weeping willow tree.
Growing a Weeping Willow Tree
Growing a Plum Tree from a Cutting
Growing a Plum Tree from a Cutting
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 21, 2016 at 5:06:47 PM on in 961 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.