Growing a Trumpet Vine

Growing a Trumpet Vine
Trumpet vines produce a mass of brightly colored orange red flowers, creating quite a show. This is a guide about growing a trumpet vine.

Trumpet Vine is an invasive weed! It is sold at nurseries and they don't mention this. Don't plant it unless you are prepared to have it everywhere in your yard. I have had it migrate from the front of the house to the backyard. There is no stopping it's advance. It will even climb the bricks of your house and crack the mortar. The seed pods are similar to milkweed and will burst and float seeds everywhere.

Yes, it is pretty and yes, it attracts hummingbirds, but let it do it in someone else's yard, not yours. Leave it at the nursery.

This is a guide about starting a trumpet vine from seed pods. Starting new plants, such as the trumpet vine, from seeds is cheaper than buying a plant from the nursery.

Trumpet Vine Seed Pods

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I need to know when to cut the trumpet plant back in the fall. Do I cut the plant back to the ground, will the plant come back from the roots in the spring? Is there any pruning to be done in the summer?

I have one and have never pruned or cut it back. It comes back on its own every year.

You can prune to ground level or leave up to 8 inches. Pruning encourages flowering. Prune in the fall.

I recently received a cutting of a trumpet plant, I winterized it by keeping it in my home near a window, kept the soil moist and turned the pot once daily; in the Spring time, I planted it in full sun, it was beautiful with sunny yellow trumpet flowers, I did not prune it for this winter, it was mulched around the perimeter of the plant but not touching the base of the trunk. It is April now and new sprouts are beginning to show from the bottom of the trunk. I treated it like my hydrangas and left the old wood on the plant.

I was advised to bring my trumpet vines inside for the winter as we live in a very cold climate. I had them in pots so this was no problem. I let them dry out and have cut them back. Will they grow back now that I have started watering them? And also the seeds, can they be planted in starter pots and should they be soaked first?

Thanks

I was able to start trumpet vines from seeds someone had given to me. I live in zone 5 which gets very cold in the winter. So I also brought mine indoors and left them in the garage to dry out over the winter. I merely planted them in the ground and they grew back ok. However, the one I gave to my daughter who lives in zone 7 seems to be doing better than mine. Of course, she waters hers, and I dont water mine.

You wont know until you try it. Go for it. You dont have anything to lose.

I leave my vine out on the balcony all winter long and every year it looks as if it has died. Then, magically in spring it starts greening in. What I do to get new plants is to put small pots of cuttings around the base of my vine. Then before long, seeds have dropped and a new plant begins. I have done this for several years and now all my friends have a vine of their own. lisingreece

We are in zone 7. We have had ours in the ground from day one; the trunk is rather large now. We trim the top which is dead wood and new vines come back each year. They are pretty plants but are quite messy next to patio, dropping flowers. We have lots of humming birds also bees & ants. When you have a trumpet vine, they have a tendency to have new plants springing up in the grass, a distance from the main plant!

I live in zone 7-8. I have two trumpet vines that are only 5-6 inches tall, and it's already September. The smallest gets morning sun and afternoon shade. The bigger one, which I can actually tie to my trellis, gets morning shade and afternoon sun. They are so small. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to make them grow faster and bigger?

By Jube

I am in central Virginia, zone 7, and had trumpet vines with similar problems and mine hardly bloomed at all. I finally dug them up and planted passion flower vines. They have much prettier flowers and foliage, bloom all summer, are perennials and hummingbirds love them.

If you just planted them, they are likely growing roots first, then they will grow the foliage. If that is not the case, it may be your soil and the amount of sun they are getting. They actually like a poor soil and they prefer full sun. It can also take several years for the vine to get established.

My yard was an old farm and I have trumpet vines everywhere so maybe the old owners planted them or is there a wild version?

By Pam

Oh yes they grow wild and they take over everything. You have to get the roots because if you just cut them back, they will continue to grow. If there is a small crack in the boards of an old barn or out building, the vines will twine their way into the crack and climb over the building. They put out suckers and attach themselves to the wood.

My trumpet vine has green banana shaped pods on it about 6 inches in length. Is this normal? The plant is about 3 years old and produces a few flowers each year. Sorry, I have no photo.

By Sandy

Pods are normal. They will dry a brown color and fall off. Trumpet Vine spreads rapidly from the seeds in the pods and from underground roots. I planted a Trumpet Vine in Texas and it took over an entire flower bed, the fence and grew up the oak trees close by.

My husband hired someone to dig the bed down to three feet below ground level and fill it with new soil to get rid of the vine. The next spring the Trumpet Vine was back just as strong as ever. With Trumpet Vine you need to love it or leave it out of your garden.

I know that seedpods can be used to start a new trumpet creeper vine, but what if you took the new pods from a vine before they have dried? What is the best way to keep the seedpods until they are ready to be planted?

Thanks!

By Pam from Statesville, NC

Simply let them dry in a covered area outside; however, to be honest with you, it takes a couple of years for a plant to bloom even one purchased from a nursery! So, why not instead join either a yahoo garden trading group near you and ask if anyone has one as they are notorious for sending up suckers everywhere! Or simply get an established plant as I did for $3.75 at a nursery? By the way, mine still has yet to bloom!

We have 2 very healthy and gorgeous vines, 1 is around a trellis and one was growing up and over a large shed. Both vines are 15+ years old. The one over the shed just fell down from a bad storm we had Friday, it is so heavy and laying on the ground. We don't know if we can pick it up and throw it back up over the shed. If we wanted to cut it back, would it grow back again, and how far do we cut it back? Thanks. Our flowers are so beautiful.

By LouLouBell

During the summer, what is the best way to trim spent flowers on my trumpet vine in order to encourage more blooming throughout the season? I've only had one round of blooms for the past 4 summers, and suspect it is the way we are trimming. Do trumpet vines usually bloom once?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Suz from Concord, CA

By Ellen Brown

Growing a Trumpet Vine

Question:

How do you grow a trumpet vine?

Jan from Big Rapids, Michigan

Answer:

Jan,

These are wonderful vines for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds (and nectar loving insects of all sorts), but you should be aware that they can be quite invasive in some gardens.

Trumpet Vines can be started from seed, suckers or by purchasing young plants. They will tolerate poor soil, but for the best show of flowers plant them in full sun in soil that is nutrient-rich and drains well. There really isn't much to growing them, with the exception of the need for constant pruning to keep them in check. They require moderate amounts of water and don't require any extra fertilizer to grow well.

The first two or three years of growth they will be putting all of their energy into getting established so don't expect to see any flowers. To keep growth in check, you can prune the vine in the late fall or early spring. Trumpet vines also send forth lots and lots of suckers. These can be managed with a shears (or a lawn mower), but don't dig them out or you'll end up with twice as many as you started with. Gathering seedpods before they pop and regular pruning will also help keep these vines in bounds and prevent them from taking over your garden.

You'll need to provide it with a sturdy support almost immediately after planting.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Growing a Trumpet Vine

Jan, I've read and agree that it takes 3 years to grow a trumpet vine. I've transplanted mine twice so I've had the experience. The first year it won't flower, and will only grow about 3 feet. The second year it will grow tall and produce a few flowers. The third year it will grow great. New shoots will develop quickly so keep trimming them off. I've had mine in full sun, but I've seen them in lots of directions so put yours anywhere. They are so easy to take care of. I also had 4 trellises put in a square with the trumpet vine growing up on them all. I've heard if they are planted too close to a house, they will grow into the siding. Be creative. But be careful because they will take over if you let them. They are beautiful and will bring hummingbirds. (08/24/2006)

By Kim, SE WI

Growing a Trumpet Vine

We live south of Grand Rapids, MI and there is plenty of trumpet vine in this area. And it is true, they are very aggressive. A few years ago, we had them growing on the side of wood-sided house, and they actually got underneath the wood siding and eventually ended up in the house. So plant them accordingly. Give them plenty of room and support and in a couple of years they will bloom. (11/04/2006)