Guinea Pig Not Well After Cagemate Died

A boy cuddling with a sad guinea pig.
Just like people animals often mourn the death of a companion both human and animal. This is a guide about guinea pig not well after casemate died.

I had 2 guinea pigs and one died a week or so ago. Since then the other one doesn't want to do anything. He only eats a little and will sleep the whole day. I am worried about him. I took him to the vet and they told me that he was lonely, so I got another one, a female. She tries playing with him, but he just sleeps. So, now I have him with me all day trying to make him feel better. Can someone help me please?

By Chamaya from Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Your guinea pig is probably stressed from loosing your other piggy. How long had the pigs been together? If they'd been together for a while, then it's probably separation anxiety.

Best Answer

Hi, I think your guinea pig could possibly just be stressed from the other ones death. Just give it lots of love and if it doesn't get better bring him to a vet.

Hi,

Are you supplementing the guinea pig's diet with vitamin C, and giving a large bunch of Timothy hay each day?

Are you seeing normal stools, and is there a runny nose, or a crust around the nose?

Let me know, disinfect the cage with vinegar and water, and then put him in a nother cage, a nice cage but with no drafts and with lot sof light. Make sure he is drinking and put a heating pad on low under one half of the cage.

Hope he feels better soon.

Hi. You might want to try to get some exciting toys for him to play with to excite him.