Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I just dyed my hair, and "yikes" it looks sick. It didn't come out the way I was hoping it would, not even close. I tried to dye it from dirty blond to brunette and guess what, it came out light orange. I don't know what you would call that, but I call it freaky. It was totally unexpected and not wanted. So what should I do now? I look like a walking orange peel. Should I try to dye it again? If I do, will it damage my hair? Is there some kind of hair dye removal? All I know is that I look like a freak show and I want that to change. Help me Please!

Aliesha

Answers:

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

My hair used to turn red or orange when I dyed it. Someone told me to use ash blonds or ash browns to tone down the red tendency in my hair. It was naturally dark brown but all the brown or blond dyes caused it to show a lot of red/orange. (01/11/2008)

By MartyD

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Most hair colors have the website for their products on the box container, or on the instructions in with your kit. If you have not thrown out the paperwork yet, get that website and they have an 800 toll free number you can call. Or you can email them with these same questions. They give you a visual guide on there to go by, helping you choose your shade to pick from your natural hair color. Until then, I would wash it a lot and use conditioner at each wash to sit on it for about 5-8 minutes, it will lessen in color after repeated washes in about 2 weeks, which will help some. Good luck. (01/11/2008)

By theseamstress

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I hate to tell you this, but go to a professional and get it corrected. I believe this is one place it's impossible to skimp and still turn out okay. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Don't use any hair color that has "ash" in it. That will make your hair turn red. (01/13/2008)

By Karensteph

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Was the dye permanent? I dyed my hair horrendous a couple of months ago, and went into a sally's beauty place, the lady told me DO NOT USE A STRIPPER! She said to dye it darker than what is was. But I have brown hair, and did yuck-o highlights. I saw a color corrector in a magazine, I think it was Redbook or something, I will try to find it and get back to you. (01/13/2008)

By smalltwn_cntrygirl

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

It's called colorfix. (01/13/2008)

By smalltwn_cntrygirl

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

You can buy Color Oops at drugstores or ColorFix at Sally's. You don't dye over. The color remover will make your hair the more "natural" color (depending on how long you've been dying your hair). Some people can maintain with the removed color, some people then redye over again.

Try this website, here is the Hair Forum, Search Colorfix or Color Oops, they helped me tremendously. I do know, a LOT of people say the toner (the 3rd bottle for ColorFix) makes your hair darker again, so if you like the color you end up with (after the remover) do NOT use the toner. You might have to make an account, but if you like hair and beauty or such, it's worth it (it's free).

http://www.makeupalley.com/board/board.asp?bid=8 (01/15/2008)

By michawnpita

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

If you went from blond to brown. You have to put the red back into your hair first. When it is stripped and dyed blond all the red is removed in the process, you cant get back to brown shades without putting the red back in. I did this and my hair turned green. I got a professional fix and this is what I was told. (01/16/2008)

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Corrective coloring needs to be done by a professional. (01/16/2008)

By Linda

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Do you still have the box the hair color came in? There's an 800 help number on it. The manufacturer knows best how to fix these things. Dry your tears (I know, I've called them too) and ask them for help. (01/16/2008)

By Jantoo

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Professional fix is the best way, but if you must on your own, the 800 number is your first point of action. Sounds like either you colored it blond and it needs other color added back in with the brown, or you need a color filler because it is too porous. Good luck! (01/16/2008)

By purrplekat

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

First off, ash tones are blue honey! And yes, you could dye your hair again, it won't hurt it. Hair dyes these days are mild and leave your hair in better condition. Even when you go to salons they offer double processes for you hair. Just get another box of the dye and try again, try taking a hair drier to it to get the color to set in better.

Hair dye doesn't badly damage hair, once it gets to a certain point it basically deactivates (unless you just permed, your hair will be too brittle to color in that case, best to wait a few weeks). Bleaching your hair on the other hand does do a lot of damage. (02/02/2008)

By Verybella

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Sometimes you can remove temporary hair color with mineral oil or baby oil (they're the same thing). You simply comb the oil through your hair, then heat a hot towel in your oven (at 200 deg), then carefully, making sure it's not too hot for your head, wrap the towel around your head making sure all of your hair is inside the warm towel. Next, put another towel in the oven to warm up while the one on your head is now cooling off. When your head towel cools, switch towels. Do this for about an hour, and in between towel changes, comb the oil through your hair again & again. The heat opens up the hair shaft so the oil can really penetrate.

Next wash the oil out with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos are stronger shampoos, made to only use once in a while. You may have to do this twice, but this technique will remove most of any temporary hair color, not permanent (I don't know if it will work for semi-permanent).

* To re-dye, go to a specialist. Call the salon & ask for the best hair coloring specialist they have. Ask them to have the Coloring Specialist call you back when they have a minute. When they call back: Ask them how many years He or She has been coloring hair, & tell them your dilemma. Then ask if they know they can fix your color by re-coloring it. Of course no one can ever be absolutely sure they can fix it. If you're not sure or wary, go to another salon!

* Take the box of colorant you used in to your appointment with you. If it was at another salon, call and ask them what they used, this will help the coloring specialist to know what they should use.

*Stay away from any Beauty (training) School or a place like "Super Cuts"! (02/02/2008)

By Cyinda

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Here's one for the books; I bought one color, and in the box was another color! I never noticed it until my light brown came out blood red! (06/14/2008)

Hair being dyed a bright red color.
Fixing Hair Coloring Mistakes
Two men Dressed as Storm Troopers
Making a Clone Trooper Costume
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄