Hair Coloring Advice for Highlighted Hair

I had won a free color and highlights from a salon. It has now grown out and looks bad. I would like to even up my hair color at home and perhaps do new highlights. Do I have to color the dark roots and non-highlighted longer hair separately or can I do an all over color in one shade?

By Sandy from Stoughton, WI

Answers:

I suggest to do it all over in one shade, good luck. (11/08/2009)

By kffrmw88

When the economy tanked, one of the things I gave up was my hairdresser (besides the frequent increases at her shop). A friend told me about L'oreal Performance Creme hair color and I've been using it for over a year. It's inexpensive (@$7.00 and there are frequently coupons out there) and not hard to do. I color my hair about once a month.

It comes out darker (It looks as it did pre-coloring then slowly fades over the next four weeks, but still looks good.) It covers my dark roots and the grey. Just know this will cover your highlights at first. (But after 40 years of highlighting, I let mine grow out using this coloring and it kept it from looking bad during that time.) My sister-in-law uses one of those self highlight kits and her hair looks great. (11/10/2009)

By PDG

Try a beauty supply store; there you can get professional salon coloring products that are very inexpensive. You may have to educate yourself on the proper techniques for mixing and applying, but it is well worth it. (11/13/2009)

By cderogatis

I have short hair and keep it quite nicely styled. I have been cutting and coloring my hair for years and people are always amazed that I do it myself. Go to a Sally's (or some other) beauty supply store. The people who work there are quite knowledgeable as they deal with cosmetologists all day long. Listen and learn and ask.

A couple tips: aluminum foil will bring your hair to its highest color (light), combine with heat and you are close to white, time is the only issue. If they recommend bleaching out first, use Prism Lites, very gentle, yet does the job. Tools are your friend. For highlighting, there are little brushes (they have them in the box for Colour Rays). I highly recommend Loreal. It is as close to true color as you will ever find and does a terrific job of coloring the gray. Once you start doing this, you will never understand why you spent hundreds of dollars to get your hair done. (11/14/2009)

By catfifty

A woman dying her own hair.
Coloring Hair at Home
A person coloring their hair.
Saving Money on Coloring Your Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
🎄