Hair Falling Out After Perm

I permed my hair 2 weeks ago and it's falling out really badly. Is there anything to use on my hair so it won't all fall out? I've deep conditioned and used a hot oil treatment, but it just keeps shedding.

By Courtney

Best Answer

There is nothing you can do but wait for it to grow back. Apparently it broke either because you wound it to tight, or the rubber band broke it because your hair was either thin, weak, or already damaged from hair products such as some artificial color, or lots of sun damage.

So, what I am trying to say is that your hair is breaking and the loss isn't coming from the hair follicle. All you can do is wait for it to grow out, and don't put anything on your hair with chemicals. Conditioner and shampoo won't hurt your hair though.

Stop using so much stuff on your hair. Conditioner alone will make your hair fall out. I used to do all the stuff you are doing and my hair had one problem after another. I went through a period of unemployment and left my hair alone, and gradually it returned to it's natural color, it's natural shine and it turned out I had a naturalslight wave. That was 1994.

I am now 70. Yes my hair is thinner but it's shiny, slightly longer than shoulder length and I like it more than I ever did during those tinkering years. I wash it every other time with a warm water rinse of water and a tablespoon of baking soda, followed by rinsing. I use inexpensive shampoos alternately with NO conditioner. If I want a curl or wave, I twist and pin it in a bun while barely damp, and let it loose after a couple of hours.

I do not wash my hair very often, maybe every 10 days. Just brushing it does it. I use a soft brush, a Fuller Brush.