Hair Lice Prevention

Children will soon be starting back to school and unfortunately head lice are a fact of life. But I learned that putting hair conditioner (the cheaper the better) in the hair every night prevents the critters from laying their eggs, they prefer clean hair. So hair conditioner every night and wash it out in the morning and you should keep the cooties at bay.

By Cheaperthancheap from Boston, MA

Answers:

Hair Lice Prevention

My hairdresser said to put a little bit of gel or hairspray in my children's hair everyday, because the lice can't "breathe" because of the stickiness of the products. Since I have been doing this, we haven't had any problems. (08/01/2006)

By buffalogal95

Hair Lice Prevention

A good trick is tea-tree oil. Put some in a water spray bottle with the water, and spray it in each morning when doing your childrens' hair. I used to work in an outback community where they were on all the kids. They would cuddle me and sit all over me, play with my hair. The spray stopped me getting them. It also made me wonder about the "nits only like clean hair" theory. I washed my hair with conditioner every morning, and didn't get them. Yet the Aboriginal kids all had them, and they didn't wash their hair at all. (08/02/2006)

By katvn

Denorex Shampoo!

When our kids were in school (we now homeschool and don't have lice problems any more) we washed their hair daily with Denorex whenever we got the note from school saying someone had lice. Denorex extra-strength contains coal tar, an old-time remedy for lice. Apply to hair as a normal shampoo, let sit for ten minutes, then rinse and style as normal. The coal tar kills any lice and breaks the laying cycle of the eggs (nits). It is also much safer for your kids than that icky pesticide shampoo, which can be absorbed through the skin. (08/02/2006)

By Susabelle

Hair Lice Prevention

Each morning before school spray Listerine water and comb or brush hair. Take spray bottle, fill with water and a couple caps of Listerine. You cannot smell Listerine after it dries, but the lice can.
(08/27/2006)

By Autumn

Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention
Someone using a nit comb on a child's hair.
Getting Rid of Head Lice
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄