Hair Spray Tips and Tricks

Knowing a few things about using this product can save you time and money. This page contains hair spray tips and tricks.

March 10, 2011 Flag

Here are a few things you can do with hairspray when you need to substitute for other products.

1. Don't have any bug spray? Spray flying bugs with Hairspray. It will do them in.

2. Ball point pen on leather sofa? Spray with Hairspray and then rub with a clean rag. Repeat if necessary.

3. Want to extend the life of cut flowers? Spray the underside of leaf lightly. Flowers will last longer.

4. Can't find needle threader? Spray the end of thread lightly and it will stiffen it enough to thread your needle.
Try these, they really work!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

You can also use hairspray to seal kids' paintings.

Although I don't like to say it, I occasionally get roaches (living in the deep South we bring them in from outdoors). Hair spray slows them down enough to where you can "pop" them with something like your shoe. It is surely not as toxic as insect spray and, I believe, is a good deal safer in the kitchen.

I have tried spraying flying bugs such as wasps or flies with hair spray. I've never yet had it work, even when I was able to give them a good dose of it! Which by the way is extreme;y hard to do since hair spray doesn't spray very far. But it's never caused my wasps to stiffen up and fall down. No, they keep right on flying! Straight at me, because then they are mad!

And as for stiffening thread for threading, I simply wet it a tiny bit and rub it between two fingers. Why waste perfectly good hair spray when a tiny bit of saliva will do even better?

As for the other two things this lady mentioned, I haven't tried those. The ink on the sofa thing sounds iffy to me. And I'm not about to go spraying hair spray on my flowers!

Hair Spray draws bees,wasp and other bugs. I learned this when I was little and I am in my fifties now. My grandma would tell my aunt and mother do not wear hairspray when working in the yard or garden because the scent of the spray would draw bees and other insects. Perfume will do the same. I am a daycare teacher and when we are outside and bees start flying around the teachers they ask why they don't bother me and I tell them I did not wear hairspray or perfume today. If you must wear hairspray do just a little. Hair spray is good for taking ink off your skin if you get it on your arm or hand, just spray the area and wash off.

I have used hairspray on ink stains on the carpet. It worked!

I use hairspray on spiders, while it dries, they lose their legs. Yes, I am terrified of spiders.

Hairspray works well when you have a ruin in your pantyhose. Also nail polish.

Hairspray does take out ink from some things. I saved a great dress when a pen leaked in the pocket, but it didn't work on a shirt with different fabric:( As for the bugs thing, it works somewhat, and smells much better than bug spray! And it does attract bees as one commenter mentioned, but so does some shampoo/conditioner. We use it to prolong dried flower arrangements, cat-tails, and dandelions the children pick for mom.

If you get ink on your clothes, spray with hairspray. Let it sit for a minute or two and then rub fabric together. Most ink will come out. Sometimes it will take a second spray. Then just throw it in the washer. When clothes are done washing, ink will be gone.

I must try your tip on spraying the underside of cut flowers. I never heard that before. I am sure it is just a light spray will keep the flowers standing straight. Thank you for the suggestion.

July 1, 2008 Flag

Tips for using hair spray. Buy a "Shaper" spray, and a separate "Freezing" spray, generic brands are o.k. Sebastian is one of the originators, I believe, yet there are generics now at great reductions in cost.

January 19, 2006 Flag

I wear contacts and also use hair spray, I found that spraying my hair after putting on a sun visor keeps the hair spray out of my eyes and off my face...

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips StylingApril 24, 2013
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Hair Spray Nozzle
Unclogging Hair Spray Nozzle
🎉
🎄