Hair Turned Orange After Dyeing

Category Coloring
This is a guide about hair turned orange after dyeing. When your hair color does not come out the way you want it, there is often a way to fix it.

I have recently dyed my hair blonde from light brown. I've noticed that the day after dyeing it the more it looked orange. What should I do to get the orange tone out of my hair?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Put a semi permanent color on. To make your hair several shades lighter the darker color must be stripped and the new color deposited. This is a professional job.

Best Answer

Use a lighter ash blonde dye, trim, and deep condition.

Try toning it with a purple shampoo and conditioner. Leave the conditioner in for at least an hour. If this doesn't help you need to redye. If you are using store bought products you may want to go with a highlighter or tipping kit as these use actual bleach where as must box colors will not give you the lift your looking for.

Oh no, no worries! Just go and get it professionally done, as it would probably be pretty tricky to do at home. A salon would easily be able to fix it. : )

Have you ever heard of 'optical brighteners'? They are in some laundry detergents. While they don't make your whites whiter or your colors brighter, they do give that illusion. Your whites seem to be whiter and your colors seem to be brighter even though they're not.

Conditioners have no place in color correction. In no way will they help you get the color you desire, whether applied before, during or after the corrective work.

Upon the completion of the color correction, a conditioner may be applied to the hair for its cosmetic effect. Conditioners cannot feed or repair the hair. The hair is dead. Conditioners can make the hair more manageable and give the appearance of being healthier. However, this effect is like that of optical brighteners. While the hair may look healthier, it actually is not.

Money spent on conditioners is not wasted. They do have a purpose. Just be informed as to what they actually do or don't do.

I recently bleached my hair and rinsed it brown. However it came out bright orange. I hate it. Is it possible for me to just use a dark brown dye and get it to a brown color and not orange?

Best Answer

A proper answer would require more information. How light did you bleach your hair? Red, red gold, gold, yellow, pale yellow? I've never heard of anyone 'rinsing' their hair brown. What product did you use? No temporary rinse should have turned your hair orange.

I know of no semi permanent color specifically made for use on bleached hair. Most semi permanent colors, when used on bleached hair, tend to give strange colors. L'Oreal does have a color line it recommends for bleached hair, but it has gotten terrible reviews.

http://www.lore  ;shade=100-Peach

You must understand that if you apply more color to your hair, you are not removing the orange, just adding to it. If you color your hair dark brown, the resulting color will be a combination of dark brown and orange. And do know that most dark brown hair colors, whether semi permanent or permanent do contain an amount of green. The green in the color, mixed with the orange you now have could result in a very strange color.

To prevent this green, your hair may require a filler in a warm shade prior to coloring it dark brown. This could be determined only with a visual inspection by a knowledgeable colorist.

Your best bet is to discuss your problem with an expert colorist. If there is residual product from the brown rinse that turned your hair bright orange, it should be removed before considering further treatment. After this, you would have a better idea as to what to do next. The resulting shade and the condition of the hair will determine what to do next.

It is possible for you at home to color your hair so dark and so heavily with a permanent color, it will completely hide the orange. The hair will looked dyed and unhealthy. And as bleached hair does not hold color as well as virgin hair, your hair will look even worse as the color fades, even slightly.

Who knows what chemicals were in the brown rinse that caused it to turn your hair bright orange. Try to get the orange corrected first, not by adding more color, but before you add more color.

Absolutely. As long as the brown is darker than the orange, you're good to go. Use some conditioning treatments after.

Use a semi-permanent first. If you like the color, deep-condition weekly and get the same shade in permanent next month.

I would like to clarify a statement I made in the above answer. That statement is: 'I know of no semi permanent color specifically made for use on bleached hair'. Keep in mind that the subject of the question was doing corrective color work.

Milady Textbook of Cosmetology states the term 'semi permanent color' refers to a color product that lasts through four to six weeks and gradually fades during that time.

There are semi permanent colors that last longer, and they are designed to be used on bleached hair. These colors were sold separately for salon use, but were sold to the public along with the necessary bleach.

This does not make my statement wrong. The application would be: Virgin hair would be bleached with the appropriate bleach, then one of these more lasting, semi permanent toners would be applied. The semi permanent color specifically designed to be used on bleached hair.

It was suggested that a semi permanent color be used on the bleached hair. This was not a virgin bleach and the hair had been subjected to further color treatment. The semi permanent color was to be used for color correction.

Perhaps my statement should have been: 'I know of no semi permanent color specifically made for use on bleached hair for re coloring or as a color corrective. These semi permanent colors are designed to be applied as a toner after a simple bleach, not after multi color treatments.

Yesterday I dyed my hair, but it doesn't look like the colour I was shown at the salon. He said it will change after a few weeks. Will my hair colour change to the picture? Mine is too orange, but her's is quite blond.
Thank you very much for helping.

Best Answer

Apparantly, you used a color with lifting/bleaching action. The only way you would get the same results as 'Her', would be for you to have hair identical to her's. I'm guessing your hair was either darker or more resistant than her's.

Your hair color probably will change somewhat over the course of a few weeks, but it will not change to blond. It probably will change to a reddish orange. Your hair might require pre bleaching in order for you to get the 'same' color she got, using the same color she used.

I just dyed my hair, and "yikes" it looks sick. It didn't come out the way I was hoping it would, not even close. I tried to dye it from dirty blond to brunette and guess what, it came out light orange. I don't know what you would call that, but I call it freaky. It was totally unexpected and not wanted. So what should I do now? I look like a walking orange peel. Should I try to dye it again? If I do, will it damage my hair? Is there some kind of hair dye removal? All I know is that I look like a freak show and I want that to change. Help me Please!

Aliesha

Answers:

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

My hair used to turn red or orange when I dyed it. Someone told me to use ash blonds or ash browns to tone down the red tendency in my hair. It was naturally dark brown but all the brown or blond dyes caused it to show a lot of red/orange. (01/11/2008)

By MartyD

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Most hair colors have the website for their products on the box container, or on the instructions in with your kit. If you have not thrown out the paperwork yet, get that website and they have an 800 toll free number you can call. Or you can email them with these same questions. They give you a visual guide on there to go by, helping you choose your shade to pick from your natural hair color. Until then, I would wash it a lot and use conditioner at each wash to sit on it for about 5-8 minutes, it will lessen in color after repeated washes in about 2 weeks, which will help some. Good luck. (01/11/2008)

By theseamstress

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I hate to tell you this, but go to a professional and get it corrected. I believe this is one place it's impossible to skimp and still turn out okay. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Don't use any hair color that has "ash" in it. That will make your hair turn red. (01/13/2008)

By Karensteph

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Was the dye permanent? I dyed my hair horrendous a couple of months ago, and went into a sally's beauty place, the lady told me DO NOT USE A STRIPPER! She said to dye it darker than what is was. But I have brown hair, and did yuck-o highlights. I saw a color corrector in a magazine, I think it was Redbook or something, I will try to find it and get back to you. (01/13/2008)

By smalltwn_cntrygirl

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

It's called colorfix. (01/13/2008)

By smalltwn_cntrygirl

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

You can buy Color Oops at drugstores or ColorFix at Sally's. You don't dye over. The color remover will make your hair the more "natural" color (depending on how long you've been dying your hair). Some people can maintain with the removed color, some people then redye over again.

Try this website, here is the Hair Forum, Search Colorfix or Color Oops, they helped me tremendously. I do know, a LOT of people say the toner (the 3rd bottle for ColorFix) makes your hair darker again, so if you like the color you end up with (after the remover) do NOT use the toner. You might have to make an account, but if you like hair and beauty or such, it's worth it (it's free).

http://www.makeupalley.com/board/board.asp?bid=8 (01/15/2008)

By michawnpita

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

If you went from blond to brown. You have to put the red back into your hair first. When it is stripped and dyed blond all the red is removed in the process, you cant get back to brown shades without putting the red back in. I did this and my hair turned green. I got a professional fix and this is what I was told. (01/16/2008)

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Corrective coloring needs to be done by a professional. (01/16/2008)

By Linda

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Do you still have the box the hair color came in? There's an 800 help number on it. The manufacturer knows best how to fix these things. Dry your tears (I know, I've called them too) and ask them for help. (01/16/2008)

By Jantoo

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Professional fix is the best way, but if you must on your own, the 800 number is your first point of action. Sounds like either you colored it blond and it needs other color added back in with the brown, or you need a color filler because it is too porous. Good luck! (01/16/2008)

By purrplekat

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

First off, ash tones are blue honey! And yes, you could dye your hair again, it won't hurt it. Hair dyes these days are mild and leave your hair in better condition. Even when you go to salons they offer double processes for you hair. Just get another box of the dye and try again, try taking a hair drier to it to get the color to set in better.

Hair dye doesn't badly damage hair, once it gets to a certain point it basically deactivates (unless you just permed, your hair will be too brittle to color in that case, best to wait a few weeks). Bleaching your hair on the other hand does do a lot of damage. (02/02/2008)

By Verybella

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Sometimes you can remove temporary hair color with mineral oil or baby oil (they're the same thing). You simply comb the oil through your hair, then heat a hot towel in your oven (at 200 deg), then carefully, making sure it's not too hot for your head, wrap the towel around your head making sure all of your hair is inside the warm towel. Next, put another towel in the oven to warm up while the one on your head is now cooling off. When your head towel cools, switch towels. Do this for about an hour, and in between towel changes, comb the oil through your hair again & again. The heat opens up the hair shaft so the oil can really penetrate.

Next wash the oil out with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos are stronger shampoos, made to only use once in a while. You may have to do this twice, but this technique will remove most of any temporary hair color, not permanent (I don't know if it will work for semi-permanent).

* To re-dye, go to a specialist. Call the salon & ask for the best hair coloring specialist they have. Ask them to have the Coloring Specialist call you back when they have a minute. When they call back: Ask them how many years He or She has been coloring hair, & tell them your dilemma. Then ask if they know they can fix your color by re-coloring it. Of course no one can ever be absolutely sure they can fix it. If you're not sure or wary, go to another salon!

* Take the box of colorant you used in to your appointment with you. If it was at another salon, call and ask them what they used, this will help the coloring specialist to know what they should use.

*Stay away from any Beauty (training) School or a place like "Super Cuts"! (02/02/2008)

By Cyinda

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Here's one for the books; I bought one color, and in the box was another color! I never noticed it until my light brown came out blood red! (06/14/2008)