Halloween Costume Ideas For Kids

Category Costumes
Little Devil Halloween Costume
Sometimes coming up with a new costume idea every year for your children can be a challenge. This is a guide about Halloween costume ideas for kids.

I have two sons four years apart in age. One Halloween, I dressed the older one in a dress shirt, vest, bow tie and dress trousers with leather Sunday shoes. He was the MAN. The younger one wore a black sweatshirt and sweatpants, with a simple black woolen cap to which I had sewed stuffed black socks for "hang dog ears". We made up his face with a black triangular pug nose, surrounded by doggy freckles. Then we wrapped around a collar and attached it to a leash held by the man. When they stopped at a door, the DOG would get on all fours and sometimes sit up and beg, holding his treat bag in his teeth.

Approximate Time:

Dog

Instructions:

Stuff two matching socks with other rolled up socks. Sew these from the top, with the toes hanging down, on opposite sides of the woolen cap. Dress the smaller child in the sweatpants and sweatshirt. Wrap around a "collar" and attach a leash. With black makeup, make a triangular pug nose at the nostrils of the child's own nose, and make dots on the cheeks for doggy freckles. The larger child should dress in Sunday or dress clothes with matching dress shoes. Each should have a Halloween treat bag, the man's to carry at hand, and the dog's to be carried by mouth when they are posed at each doorway.

By Vivian P.

This Halloween bib was less than a dollar and with a couple of snips, it became the front pocket on my daughter's tunic shirt.

I simply cut off the top portions and sewed around the edges.

By April from Albany, GA

We needed a costume for my sister's baby for their Church's Fall Festival Block Party. She and her husband both enjoy football and already had jerseys, so I made the baby a football costume with about a 1/4 yard of fleece. Easy, fun and inexpensive. cost less than $3.

By Serina from Fayetteville, AR

This is a guide about making a convict costume. Whether it's broad horizontal black and white stripes or a bright orange jumpsuit, the convict costume is a favorite for costume parties and trick-or-treating. It's a simple, inexpensive costume that is a lot of fun to wear.

Boy Behind Fence in Convict Costume

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a cowboy costume. The cowboy costume has been a Halloween favorite for many years. It's a great cheap option for boys of all ages.

LIttle Boy in Cowboy Costume

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Don't waste money buying them at a store. Make your own. I did last year (red ones for a Dorothy costume) and they held up well.

Get an old pair of shoes or a pair from a thrift store (I used patent leather), brush regular white glue over all surfaces of the shoe except the sole. (Spray adhesive will also work though a bit more expensive.) While glue is still wet, dump glitter to cover shoe. Shake off excess and let dry.

When the shoe has thoroughly dried, use a small brush to sweep glitter off sole of shoe. Spray shoe with spray polyurethene or hi-gloss finish for decoupage projects (I used ClearCote). Two coats of spray finish are desirable. You can customize the color of the "glitter shoe" to match your child's costume.

By Nancy in FL

I am looking for cute Halloween costume ideas for my 18 month old little girl.

By Jo Jo

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Giving her some "sitting room" you can attach purple balloons to her jammies and make a stem for her hat. Then she's a cluster of grapes!

I have seen this done and it's super cute and inexpensive. PBP

When my daughter was that age I made her a little red cape with hood and tied it around her shoulder so she could be little red riding hood. Took less than a yard of red fabric. She carried a little basket supposedly to hold food for her grandmother. If you fold fabric in middle, sew across the top and gather around the neck part for the back it works out great. Not much sewing. Can be done by hand if you don't have a sewing machine. Blessings.

mermaid, ballerina, princess.

I need an idea for a creative and easy DIY Halloween costume for my 2 year old son. He won't wear anything on his head. He's too young to really understand characters and he needs to be able to wear it all day at daycare for a party (playing, eating, diaper changes, etc.). Help!

By Homew from Enterprise, AL

Outfits that worked for my kids: football player (just get the jersey, you can even paste fabric numbers onto a plain teeshirt and write the name on the back. sneakers.

soldier; khaki or olive green pants with a camo top. the good thing about this one, is that you can use the pants and top any time, so it's not wasteful.

farmer. jeans, checkered shirt and a bandanna around the neck.

The cutest one I ever saw for a 2 yr old was a clear plastic bag (leg holes, head out of top). The bag was filled with small multi-colored blown up balloons. The little one can wear tights and a t-shirt or long underwear (depending on weather), any shoes. I asked "what are you?" The little boy said, "Jelly Beans!" His mother was walking with him, but if he would have fallen, he certainly wouldn't have injured himself!

The cutest costume I've seen was a little boy dressed in white with Got Milk? written across the chest.

As a preschool teacher my favorite costumes were always sweatpants and sweatshirts in the same color with spots added for a cow or dog, stripes added for tiger or other cat. I have ssem them done with fabric paints/puff paints and also with felt that has been glued on with a hot glue gun and then later removed for every day wearing. I really appreciated these costume because they never got in the way of diapering, playing or eating. Good Luck!

I think the easiest costumes for toddlers are done with matching sweats! All orange; cut felt and put jac o lantern face on chest. All black;pin on a tail and turn him into a cat. Maybe he will let you put whiskers on with an eyeliner pencil? If not, you could also put the cat face on the front of the shirt. You could even attach 8 legs on the black sweats and make him a spider with a web on the shirt. All red; a devil with tail and pitch fork. He wont even know he is in a costume!

Sweat pants and tops are really the easiest thing to use. Others agree with me.

To make a Baby Bumble Bee: Purchase a black top and pants.

Purchase about 1/4 yard ( or less) of bright yellow fabric.

Cut, or tear the fabric in 3-inch wide strips.

Hand baste the strips to the black top. Make rather wide stitches, beautiful stitching doesn't matter with this.:)

Place several fabric strips around the top, making the bee's stripes. ( I left the arms alone. Just put the fabric on the front and back of the top.

Using old t-shirts or whatever you have, slightly pad the top. Again baste this to the inside of the top, using black thread. Bees like to have rather puffy tummies.ha

Although you said your child did not like a hat, I purchased a child's black toboggan cap. Stuck long yellow pipe cleaners into the top of the cap. Secured them on the underneath with tape. And glued fuzzy pom-poms to each pipe cleaner for the antennas. Black socks can be worn on the hands if you want.

Didn't decorate the pants at all, or the tennis shoes. This was so cute. And as the weather gets chilly around Halloween, the sweat suit kept him warm.

When my son was little I took a white pillow case and cut out a place for his head and arms. Then I cut the bottom to fit, I didn't cut straight I think I cut it in diamond shape at the bottom. Painted his face white and eyes black and he was the cutest ghost. Very easy.

What about jeans with patches sewn on and a flannel shirt for a hobo.

My two boys (ages 6 & 4) want to be a policeman and a knight for Halloween. Do you have any ideas on how I can pull this off with materials around the house. I am not a great seamstress.

Thank you.

Policeman: dark blue button down shirt, blue pants (jeans are ok) (check goodwill for shirts) - make a badge out of cardboard with tinfoil. If you have a round button with the pin back, you can attach it to that to pin on his shirt. NOTE: you will want to put reflective tape on his costume because it will be dark and he will be hard to see.

Knight: grey sweats or tights for the pants, and a turtleneck (white or grey) with a "tunic" over it. A king-sized pillowcase might work, or just sew a rectangle of fabric and leave a hole for the neck and arms. The bottom can be plain hem or decorated and you can use acrylic paint to paint a shield/decoration on the tunic (let him decorate it?) Make a shield out of cardboard. Cover it with tin-foil if you want it shiny - otherwise just paint the "crest" on it. Sword out of cardboard with foil blade. Again -reflective tape recommended. I would not do a helmet - too much limit on visibility, and hard to make .

Good luck -hope this helps.

Check with friends to borrow a military/policeman type hat to wear with police man outfit.

for a knight helmet you can cut the bottom off of a milk jug big enough to fit over your head. Then cut out a place for the hatch with slights cut in. Use brads to reattach this to the milg jug so it can be lifted up. Then spray paint it all in black, gray, silver or maybe white. For a extra flair add a feather on top.

for a police man you can make a band out of paper that fits your sons head then add a paper bill and a tissue paper top. Try to form sqwash it down into as much of a police man hats shape as possible. then add a badge on the front. he can were a black belt with a spray painted juice box with drawn on buttons and a straw antenna for a walkie talkie he can also carry a police man bat or if you have one a german shepard stuffed animal.

To make the bottom of the armour use cardboard cut rectangles (10-12) then hot glue them together to make an armour skirt, oops are these boys never mind then.

Knight: you can get a rectangular piece of fabric for the tunic. Cut a hole for the head, and then sew the sides but leave a space on the sides for the arms.

For a policeman, go to a clothing thrift shop and get navy blue dress pants and light blue dress shirt. Fabric glue royal blue crossgrain ribbon down the outside of the legs. Cut a badge out of cardboard and spray paint silver or gold and add writing with permanent marker. Black dress shoes also from a thrift store. Get the police hat from a Halloween store. Check ebay for a cheap hand microphone and gun holster to clip to a belt.

Knit, dark gray tights, dark gray turtleneck for the under costume. A light gray sweatshirt long enough it will go down to the middle thigh and cut off the arms and the bottom band to make a tunic. Cut a shield and sword out of heavy cardboard and spray paint silver or gray and draw an armor/crest design with permanent marker. You can also draw an armor/crest design on the tunic. You can buy a knight helmet pretty cheap at a Halloween store. Use a dark or light gray knit cap and make the head cover to go under helmet. Knit hats are usually 2 layers so cut it open so you have a larger pieces to work with and you can make the back longer. Fabric glue edges to prevent fraying

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is 8 month old Victoria, trick or treating at Grandma and Grandpa's house. She is a pretty pink butterfly.

By Kathy from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Butterfly Kids Costume

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Abby, 13 months is just a adorable poodle in this pink outfit. She has won many hearts over!

By Kelly from Hephzibah, GA

Comment Like this photo? Yes

My adorable little Grandson Max, getting ready to celebrate his first Halloween! He is taking after his Daddy in his Army costume, he's already our little Hero.

By Jackie from Orlando, Florida

Max's First Halloween

Comment Like this photo? Yes