Ham and Green Split Pea Soup Recipe
Split pea soup with some ham added in is a delicious and hearty soup to make. This page contain ham and green split pea soup recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Ah, this is my favorite soup. After Christmas dinner, I take that ham bone with still a lot of meat on it, pop it into a large freezer bag, and into the freezer it goes! I always make my Ham & Green Split Pea Soup for New Year's eve & day meals. It is such a good hearty soup with some dinner rolls or hot bread.
- large ham bone
- any leftover ham
- 6 qt water (I use 1 quart of chicken broth for flavor)
- 2 large onions, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 3 large carrots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large potatoes, minced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt (I use Old Bay Seasoning)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups green split peas
- In a 7 quart stock pot, put your ham bone and all your pieces of ham. Add the water and chicken broth.
- Mince or finely chop all the vegetables, put them in the pot. Let them start boiling. Add all your seasonings and the apple cider.
- Rinse the green split peas in cold water, dump them in the pot.
Related Content(article continues below)
- Let this simmer for at least two hours. Stirring well often. After the first hour, put it on the lowest simmer and you can leave this simmering even longer. I like mine to simmer about 4 hours.
- Do a test taste after 2 hours for seasonings, like salt or sugar add more if needed! Bake some rolls or bread to serve. This soup freezes well too! Enjoy
- After the first two hours, I add the fresh carrots. You can add diced potatoes if you like to. I don't!
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 20, 2017 at 5:30:22 PM on 10.0.0.253 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us