Hammock Tips and Tricks

Category Miscellaneous
Boy in Hammock
Hammocks bring to mind lazy, relaxing afternoons in your backyard or garden. Now that you have decided to get one, or are ready to set one up, there are some tips that might come in handy. This is a guide about hammock tips and tricks.

Reuse an old hammock by stapling it with some slack in it to the underside of your deck. Makes and excellent holder for pool floats to keep the wind from blowing them away. Bonus: the floats can drain through the hammock so no mildew!

By Michele G from Buchanan, GA

Be very careful getting in and out of hammocks this summer. If you are using a Mayan hammock (the kind with no spreader bars) stand straddling the hammock, spread the fabric or mesh as you sit, then gingerly stretch the hammock and yourself out. I flipped mine and landed on my back and hit my head by sitting on it from the side, so learn from my mistake.

By Linda

How can I keep the squirrels from eating my hammock strings?

By Colleen

Spray the strings with hairspray. I do that when they decide to chew up the corner of the house. It seems to work.

Rub some hot pepper sauce on them.

Buy some bitter apple spray.

Should have added, You might supply them with pieces of yarn, dryer lint, old pieces of cloth. They have a need for nesting. Babies are here about now.

They probably are using your hammock strings for nesting material. You could throw some string or yarn around the hammock area. Perhaps they will grab this material and leave your hammock alone. Every spring we would throw out string, pieces of yarn, Easter basket hay, etc. The birds and squirrels would take it away for nesting; When he cleaned the bird houses once a year, we would find the material that we had thrown out. jjs

What is the best way to clean a woven rope hammock? Thank you.

By Brenda from Princeton, NJ