Handmade Fleece Poncho

One of the characteristics of fleece is that it won't ravel, therefore no sewing is required. Best of all, it's cheap. With one yard of fleece you can make two adorable ponchos. The fabric I found was a little over $5 per yard at Wal-Mart, making each poncho just about $2.50.

You'll need: One yard of 60 inch fleece of your choice (this will make two ponchos for a small girl; if you have a toddler you can get by with 3/4 yard) and scissors.

1. Cut your large piece of fleece in half. Trim so that the pieces are perfectly square (approx. 30" x 30" for a girl; 27" x 27" for a toddler). The two pieces should be large enough to make two ponchos for a toddler or young child.

2. Fold fleece in half diagonally.

3. Find center of fold.

4. Cut a semi-circle around the center 5" inches across for neck. I traced a small bowl to help with this.

5. Cut fringe all the way around the bottom or tie a knot at the base of each fringe tassel. That's what I did for a more frilly look.

6. Optional: String one wooden bead on each fringe tassel before tying the knot.

Tip: To find out how big to make our poncho just measure your child/person. Have them standing with arms straight out side by side and measure finger tip to finger tip. That's how big your square needs to be.

These are so fun and so inexpensive to make. I have 6 nieces so I made 6 ponchos with matching scarves for Christmas for $20.00 and that was 3 different fleece patterns. The one pictured is a infant/toddler size. I had leftover material so I made a matching scarf. It measures 5 in by 35 inches; just cut fringe about 4 inches long and tie each end in a knot. Very warm and very stylish. Length of scarf depends on person just play around with it and have fun.

By Tina from Mesquite, TX

Handmade Fleece Poncho

They look really nice. For the person who asked about boys, a friend of mine did the same thing with a large rectangle (4'?) of fleece and tied the fringes on the ends. Now each of my boys (I have three) has their own little blanket to curl up with in bed or it's small enough to drag out to another room and have. (02/15/2006)

Handmade Fleece Poncho

The girl poncho instructions were marvelous. My Brownie Girl Scouts were looking for a unique way to stand out in the crowd during our upcoming trip to the Mall of America. We considered matching t-shirts, but the ponchos were less expensive and the girls enjoyed tying the knots, moms helped cut the fleece. It was a great mother-daughter activity. The girls will definitely be noticed. The pattern we chose was hot pink fleece with lime green, bright orange, and electric blue flowers.

P.S. The picture is of my test poncho, before we tied the knots at our meeting. Tying the knots does add a finishing touch. (04/04/2006)

By Troop Leader #193, MN

Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
A hat made from leftover fleece
Making Fleece Hats
Polar Fleece Blankets Ready for Poncho Making
Making a Polar Fleece Poncho