Harvesting and Using Blueberries

How do you harvest and use blueberries? I have heard that they need to be chilled for a time before you can eat them.

By t.h. from South Hill, VA

There's no need to chill them unless you like them cool! Just rinse and eat! Also, you can just freeze them as is, and they keep well for a year. As far as harvesting, just pick them when they're ripe. The major challenge is keeping the birds from eating them - you'll probably want to net the plants. Enjoy!

My Dad has blueberry bushes that produce a lot of fruit each year. We pick them in the mornings before it gets too hot. My mom spreads them out in a single layer on cookie sheets on a table for a day or two, because there's always a few "not fully ripe" ones that get in the bucket. She freezes them in Ziploc bags, but she doesn't wash them until she's ready to use them. My great nieces eat them like candy! I use them for muffins, in my cereal and oatmeal. Sometimes I'll throw them in my biscuit mix, too. Have made syrup by adding sugar to them and letting them "cook down". My mom has made jellies, cobblers, breads,etc. Very versatile fruit. A lot of people make smoothies, ice cream etc. I want to try to dry some this year, my dad has a dehydrator. Got to read up on that. Good luck!

Blueberries don't have to be chilled to eat. I have two huge, very old bushes and I grab a giant handful every time I pass them. I must say, it is a war every August between the birds and I in upstate NY zone 4!

Home and Garden Gardening BerriesMay 29, 2011
Blueberries in a lidded container
Storing Blueberries
Blueberries in a berry basket.
Selecting Good Blueberries
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
Blueberries growing on a bush.
Growing Blueberries
🎄
🍂