Having a Good Christmas Without Gifts

Christmas can still be a joyful giving time, even if you are not able to buy gifts for your family. This is a guide about having a good Christmas without gifts.

November 22, 2005 Flag

Christmas is caming and I don't have money to buy gifts for my kids and I know that all we need is our love. I just would like the kids to be happy so how can I make a good Christmas for my kids without gifts?

Mommy4 from Lincoln, ME

Best Answer

First are memories. Decorate your tree together. Make your meal as special as you can with little details like specially folded napkins. Play games together, especially table games. Read seasonal stories.

If you have time and a few items around the house that can be recycled you can create some simple gifts for the children. This site has a ton of ideas > http://www.makingfriends.com Some of the ideas shown may spur your own thoughts as well. Simple things can be made special with a little bit of creativity.

It is the love behind anything that is the most important. Best wishes!

Best Answer

Christmas is about giving not getting. How about baking cookies with your kids and as a family take them to an elderly person who would enjoy a visit from kids as well as the sweet treat. Your kids will learn the lesson that making others happy and putting a smile in someone elses heart is what Christmas is all about. Merry Christmas and happy sharing !

Best Answer

You could write down stories (funny or heart warming) about different things they've said or done. Things that make them special, unique and loved. It will be especially meaningful in your own handwriting. I would have loved to have something like that from my now deceased mother.

Best Answer

Even small towns usually have a church or organization that helps families in need. Do you have a thrift shop that might have something for a small gift for each child? Baking, helping serve a meal to the homeless, playing in the snow in Maine, making snowflake ornaments and other crafts can be such fun. We pulled taffy Christmas day in my modest household. Just love each other, that is what they will remember. Kindness and love go a long way to help a child form into a fine adult, money isn't the secret to happiness by a long shot.

Best Answer

When we were young and didn't have money for fancy Christmas decorations and presents, I would figure out how to make a special christmas ornament we could all make and decorate the tree with it. Every year we would make new ornaments and date them. Thirty five years later, we are still putting those ornaments on the tree. They help to bring back many special memories. We also played board games with the kids. To this day, they love playing games and have continued playing games with their families. We baked together and the kids loved it. Include family and friends in the things you do and the memories will be priceless.

you can write a small book of memories you have had and color it or something dont do it in any specific order just all the years memories together you can tie it together with some old strips of t shirt and you can even draw or write on them to make them more memorable or you could just use ribbon, also make small pockets in the book and fill them with a small present --go to the beach and find a shell with a hole in the top (depending on how many kids you have) and other small, pretty and precious things to make a necklace or jewerly or just little trinkets. then you could go to a local church and get a nice bible and tell them god was with them and that that is the best present yet

also you can make a small dinner and create a board game and rules and pieces so you can play after dinner decorate a tree (charley brown tree is very cute if you cant find one that suits u) with small trinkets or pine cones.. then make up a small story about something that warms them and make sure your family is together and then bless them and you can wake up the next day and tell them that for u everyday is christmas ...with them just being there.

i really hope you have the best christmas you can and hope that god blesses you plenty. merry christmas and a very happy new year

I like the Idea of being able to give oneself by offering something that you are good at, so if you can cook offer food, if you are a ditch digger offer to turn your aunt's garden in the spring. I think somebody's personal time is the greatest gift anybody can receive. This year i don't plan to spend any money on my friends and relatives, except by travel costs to be together. Being inbetween houses i would have a hard time accepting gifts of a material nature right now, not because i wouldn't appreciate new tools, toys, tickets, or whatever, but there is no need and no place for more stuff to go

Hi, my name is Robert. Almost every day, I see my parents crying about how they don't have money. We dont have that money cause we had to move from GA to VA about ten hour drive. We did not plan this well so we got there and had no place to go but on the way up here we got hit by a semi-truck, one of those big trucks so now when we look in the house for food, we barely have anything. We got somewhere to live now. But I always tell my parents every thing will work out. Some times it will. I love my parents and hate seeing them cry. My mom got a Christmas tree from a church member and I put it up with my brothers. So it was a plain tree with nothin on it. So my mom went to bed so I made snowflakes with my brothers put them on the tree. My mom saw it and she loved it. We're not going to get gifts but I still got my love for my family and that's all I need. Love is the best gift ever and so are my parents.

Robert you are a good person! That is the best present you can give your parents is to have such a good, kind and caring heart! Unfortunately, my kids have been spoiled so this year will be a harsh reality but hopefully they will turn out like you in the end. God bless you and your family with a very rich spiritual season celebrating Jesus birth who came to teach us that Love is the greatest gift of them all!

Response to: How to have a good Christmas without gifts

I would try to make it simple. Since everything is closed on Christmas day, I try to give presents that will keep my family busy that day. Like watching movies, playing games - video or board or card. I do research on what movies are playing on TV that day and make a schedule put it by the tv to follow through out Christmas day.

Make popcorn, cookies and hot chocolate available or juice. Or you could even do banana splits get a generic ice cream the neopolitan flavors (strawberry, vanilla, chocolate) then have nuts and sauces to add as family likes.

Also I go to the library to borrow books, video games and dvds the family wants to watch possibly do xmas stories/movies for books and dvds. I also check the local newspapers to see what activities/xmas events to do during the month and the night before (xmas) like free concerts and free plays as well as free children xmas programs that churches are putting on for the public and go to those.

Also usually the downtown may have free xmas activities such as tree lighting ceremonies or community centers may have caroling, free hot chocolate, free cookies and free hayrides. As for gifts - there are 99 cent and dollar tree stores where everything inside is about a dollar including toys/coloring books/games/dolls etc possibly have the kids go in there and shop for each other or they tell you what they would like for a dollar. Also there are candies, mugs, ornaments, stickers, crafts, etc for a dollar.

Other ideas is going to a craft shop like Michaels have kids pick out a craft to make to give to another sibling or to parents. In the library there are tons of Christmas craft books for ideas on things to make for family and kids. One year I made snow globes from a magazine article as a craft for a kindergarten class. It was very fun and memorable just needed a few supplies and a hot glue gun. xmas cards are easy to make just need a printer and the internet then have the kids color them and make them for each other.

Some libraries have free 10 pages you can print and the extra are 10 cents. Just need to ask at front desk. Thrift stores, GoodWills and Arcs are also good places to go to find toys, dvds, games, clothes, books, etc for a low price.

Lastly, when I was younger and in college with little money I would buy things in bulk then spread it out among friends, siblings and relatives. Such as nuts, cookies, flavored popcorn, chips, chocolate candies, hard candies into colorful xmas tins separated by cardboard cutouts. Lip gloss, nail polish, etc makeup in packs separated into tiny packages for teenage girls. No one complained to me, they told me they had the best xmas ever because they got something.

Lastly, people love gift baskets - they can be personal and costs less than what the stores charge for them. Just get a basket at a dollar store or thrift store then go to sample sections at Kmart, Walmart, Target and buy the samples for the gift basket wrap it up in plastic and put Easter grass underneath the samples--there you have it.

Further, on the internet there are recipes on how to make ornaments such as salt dough, you can put them in any shape, just bake/microwave, then you need paints/pens, ribbon/string and pins to color/decorate them. Lastly, doing/planning a Christmas Advent Calendar for ideas on things to do and make for December can make Christmas a more meaningful experience. Internet has multiple ideas on how to celebrate it.

If you keep the family busy enough in doing activities during December, they may just sleep through xmas from exhaustion of all the ways they celebrated it.

As for xmas dinner keep it simple-meat, salad, jello, rice and/or mashed potatoes, a canned veggie. You don't need do a buffet. Then have a dessert (optional if xmas gifts didn't include cookies, ice cream, candies, etc.) ... done.

November 4, 2008 Flag

I am a very young disabled woman, 44 and I am on SSI, there is just no extra money at the end of the month. No matter how I work and rework the budget it just isn't there, short of moving to the slums I have no extra. I have a newly married son who is 23 and his wife, I want to be able to give them something for Christmas, but I have no money and Christmas is so commercialized. I know they do not expect anything because of my situation but if anyone could give me some ideas I would really appreciate it. I love them so much and just want to share the holiday with them somehow.

Dana from West Sacramento, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello and Merry Christmas to you and your beloved family. I too am faced with the infinite love for my daughter and making Christmas special for her too is a challenge financially this year due to two recent surgeries and being off payroll since July till present. So broke I almost can't pay attention. What I've done so far is:1- I located a pretty can and will make it into a basket.

2- for .88 cents each I purchased light switch covers at Home Depot, mod podge glue and decorated it with a collage of her favorite things, pictures of Alvin Ailley dancers. You tube has great how to videos. I will include a decorative book for a journal. Some Swiss Miss cocoa pkgs. and whatever other doodads I might find. Best wishes and God be with you in all you do.

The best gift ever was from someone who wrote me a letter about myself through the giver's eyes. It was very plain--not an attempt to flatter, and not one of lengthy detail. It named things that I had done that were appreciated, and some things I did over and over that defined some character traits. It was written on recycled pieces of paper bags cut with wavy lines with shaded borders and a tiny ribbon holding the "pages" together.

March 7, 2011 Flag

I am a very young disabled woman, 44 and I am on SSI, there is just no extra money at the end of the month. I have a newly married son who is 23 and his wife, I want to be able to give them something for Christmas.

Holidays and Parties Christmas GiftsJune 21, 2016
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
A mom worrying about Christmas.
Planning Christmas for Children Without Any Money
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
🎉
🎄