Having a Wedding Reception Without Candles

I am LOST! My wedding is in April, and the reception hall does not allow candles, however my wedding is an evening wedding, so candles would not only be fitting, but the soft light is what I envision. Please help, any tips?

Lost in Indiana,

What about twinkle lights, the white/clear kind that you put on your Christmas tree? Or, I read in a magazine about how people used lights (I think they were bigger lights like the kind that you put on your house) and covered them with paper lanterns that they had made, they just took out every second light bulb. Hope this helps!! (11/12/2004)

Maybe you could use those battery operated candles that people put in their windows. (11/12/2004)

By jeangnome46

As this is the Christmas Season, you will find those candles used in windows and look closely, you will find that there are those which operate on batteries. Wallah, and you have candle light. Lots of times, as the closer you get to Christmas, they will put them on sale. (11/13/2004)

By Shirley Little

My first thought was using the white/clear string of lights. The cords come in green or white. The white ones could entwine white candle harbors. The green cord would be hidden in ferns, palm, or any greenery you'd have. Battery operated candles I've used for the holidays are usually white or off/white. Instead of igniting the candles, the ushers, or whomever you choose, could just flip each switch on. (They have off and on switches). Just be sure to check each one before the ceremony. Congratulations & may God bless your marriage! (11/13/2004)

By Bustersmamajo

I was at the dollar store yesterday and saw battery operated candles for Christmas - 2 for a dollar. You could also use battery operated strings of lights (you can find short strings of 10-24 lights) and check out ideas on wedding websites because I know I have seen ideas using string lights on them before. You can put the string lights into small trees or topiaries, or inside jars or bowls etc. Best wishes! (11/13/2004)

By Trix

This is the perfect time to prepare. Find the electric Christmas candles now or on 1/2 price sale right after Christmas. Use the flicker bulbs and you'll get close to the effect of natural candles when it's not convenient or possible to use the real thing. Use flowers around them to disguise the plastic. (11/13/2004)

By Jessie

At our Ace hardware, bulbs can be bought that look like a flickering candle flame. If you put it in one of the electric candles it would look like a real candle. Please accept my warmest wishes. (11/13/2004)

By lorac456

Perhaps your reception hall would allow small oil lamps? They would be beautiful decorated with a fresh or silk flower arrangement wrapped around it or even a silk candle ring placed around the base of the oil lamp! You may also want to consider a small battery operated lamp or lantern, also with flowers around them. (11/13/2004)

By Debbie

White Christmas lights mixed with white tulle netting always looks elegant for weddings. Also the silver bell garland that goes on clearance after Christmas is what I use for reception halls I've decorated. The garland twinkles against the lights and is so pretty. (11/13/2004)

By Melanie

God bless your wedding! Why not ask family & friends to "not" put their Christmas lights away this year but give them to you. Can imagine how pretty it would be to have all those different color lights as "background" for your White Wedding Gown! (11/14/2004)

By Trish

What about icicle lights that people use at Christmas. I have ones that have a white cord and use blue lights - very pretty! (01/10/2005)

By Theresa

Try asking them if you can use hurricane lamps. This is usually allowed by the fire marshal who si standing in your way. Or try fiber optics. (03/23/2005)

A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Wedding Punch Recipes
Candle centerpiece at a wedding.
Wedding Candle Centerpiece Ideas
Coffee and dessert reception.
Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas