Haze on Hardwood Floors

I have cleaned my hardwood floor with everything, Quick Shine, Minwax, Orange Glo, Windex, and just plain water. But my floor still has a haze, spots, foot and paw prints. Please, can someone help me?

Linda from Mount Pleasant, TN

Answers:

Haze on Hardwood Floors

They do make cleaners just for hardwoods. I also heard that Murphy's Oil Soap is great for hardwoods. I know water will make a haze on hardwood if you don't dry it quickly. (02/28/2007)

By kimmcg

Haze on Hardwood Floors

Vinegar and water mixture is a good cleaner for hard wood floors. It will make them shine, and take away the haze. (02/28/2007)

By buffalogal95

Haze on Hardwood Floors

Orange Glo has a wood cleaning and maintenance system. It works on everything from new wood floors to my 70-year-old beauties.

(02/28/2007)

By the Oracle

Haze on Hardwood Floors

Maybe time to re-seal your floor. Good luck. (03/01/2007)

By Kitrina7158

Haze on Hardwood Floors

I hate to let you in on this, but Murphy's Oil Soap is not even made for today's wood floors. It is for unfinished wood. This is probably where the hazing started in the first place. (03/06/2007)

By sc93

Haze on Hardwood Floors

I've been doing intensive research on this subject in order to treat my own relatively new (4 years) hardwood floors that have been beaten up by indoor construction, pets, and neglect on my part.

None of these products should cause this problem unless your floors were waxed at some point in the past. Old wax will cause hazing issues with any of these products. Wax is tenacious (seeps into pores and stays) and will chemically interfere with newer products. It must be stripped first. Use a good quality wax stripper first, then polish with one of the polishing products you mentioned, and maintain with a neutral, diluted cleaner.

Never mix wax and other polishes. Use one or the other. Murphy's Oil Soap is a good cleaner, but not a polish (and it can be used with finished floors, read the label). Orange Glo and Quick Shine are polishes. Re-polish periodically with your chosen brand.

Good Luck. (03/25/2007)

By finch

Haze on Hardwood Floors

I had the same problem. I used Windex with a paper towel and it removed the haze. My floors now look very nice and have that sheen back. I am not sure if I would do this as a normal practice of cleaning your floors. Now that I have removed that cloudy haze I am going to search for a good standard safe way of cleaning them. By the way I used Murphy's soap and Orange Glo. That seems to be the cause of the haze. (06/28/2008)

By John M.

Haze on Hardwood Floors

Since I have used Bona X on my floors for 12 years without haze, maybe you could this product: Bona X Pacific Floor Clean, available in a ready-to-use dispenser, or I use the commercial size available at local floor covering store. Much, much cheaper to mix your own. Manufacturer address is:
BonKemi USA, Inc., 14805 E. Moncrieff Place, Aurora, CO 80011. One thing: be sure to rinse out your cleaning cloth often. That may be the cause of the haze. (08/24/2008)

By jeanne01

Haze on Hardwood Floors

My daughter has gorgeous hard wood floors through out her kitchen and dining area. She tells me it really isn't in what your using to clean the dirt, but that it is key that you are buffing it dry.

She uses a large size mop handle that looks like a Swiffer only she attaches a micro-fiber cloth to it and buffs away. Her floors are always amazingly clear and shinny. Give it a try. (08/24/2008)

By Cat

Hand wiping white residue off wooden floor
Cleaning Haze on Hardwood Floors
A dining room with hardwood floors.
Protecting Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄