Healthy Additions to Your Pet's Food

Category Food
dog eating food
There are ways to add extra nutrition to your pet's food. This guide is about healthy additions to your pet's food. .

I have 2 nice, healthy, middle-aged best friends who usually are fed dry dog food, with a little something extra. Whenever I cook, I save bones from meat, extra broth, etc. and simmer it on the stove for a nice flavorful broth to pour over the dogs' dry dog food.

Sometimes, I make stock for use in our own foods then boil the bones yet again to get more flavor out for the dogs. I strain it, so no little bones get into their dishes. If you refrigerate the bones between uses, you can sometimes get even a third-time broth out of them.

Another thing they love over their food is water you've cooked pasta in. I try not to feed them fatty and oily things, only the good juices from cooking. This saves spending money on canned dog food (except for a treat, LOL) because it makes dry dog food a little extra special. Also I don't buy the most expensive brands, because I feel like I'm giving them good nourishment with the broths.

By Jayne

Save that juice from canned meats (such as tuna) and pour it over your pet's dry food, they will love you forever. I save it in the refrigerator and only add a tablespoon at a time. Once in a great while, I "accidentally" drop some of the meat in the juice. Yes, I have happy pets. If you have a picky pet, this will encourage them to eat.

Also if you have a little bit of vegetables, rice, or meat left, run it through a blender or mince it. Simmer it in a small amount of water for a couple of minutes and pour a tablespoon of this over their dry food.

In the summer, freeze this combination in ice cube trays for a cold treat. Make sure to run them under water before giving it to them so it doesn't stick to their tongue.

I keep a ice cube tray in the freezer and drop scrapings of meat and such into the cubes. Then when it gets almost full, I fill with broth, water, or left over soup for that special treat also.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

When feeding your dog and you want to add supplements as suggested by one other participant, be certain to not only include beef, chicken and veggies. Also include chicken or beef livers, they have the most nutrients! Yougurt with probiotics is also essential for the digestive system. Cottage cheese is a great dairy source for bone development. Omega 3 fish oil capsule one a day for coat and circulatory system. Keeping our pets healthy is great for them and for keeping them with us as long as possible.

Source: www.SheltieForums.com

By Elaine2004 from Landaff, NH

Pet food is always an important issue with pet owners. This economy is making it hard to afford the best foods. Be sure the supplement your dog's diet with real chicken and real beef. This is because the cheaper foods do not have much meat in them. I like to make sure and supplement their diets anyway whether they are on high priced food or not.

They do good with vegetables and oatmeal, egg yolks, total cereal, and other things. You can find out by going onto the net and researching it. I am having to gain weight on a Plott Hound that showed up in the back of a neighbor's car starving to death - lots of small meals of supplementive meat, vegetables, oatmeal, Total, and egg yolks. He hardly will eat kibble anymore. I am trying to get him built up and the Pedialyte is great, but there is a home recipe for Pedialyte somewhere.

Happy feeding!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

If your pet eats dry food you should consider soaking it in equal amounts of water to soften the kibble. I was told by my great uncle, who was a sheriff that worked with German Shepherds, that if you don't soak the food, the dogs intestines will get tangled if they eat it dry for prolonged periods of time.

Source: My Great Uncle Ron

By Quinnifer from CA

I have two tiny dogs that were not eating well, so I cooked up pumpkin, sweet potato, and white potato. Once cooked I mashed it and added 1/2 of a boiled skinless chicken breast which I had chopped very finely. I stirred t all together.

I now give the dogs 1/2 top grade tin dog food ie., Proplan and 1/2 the veggie mash for dinner. Now they eat all their dinner plus their poop is really healthy and solid.

I store small containers of the mashed veggies in the freezer and thaw out when needed. I usually put enough for 2 nights in each container. I do this as the shelf life for the mashed veggies in the fridge may not be for long and don't want to make the dogs sick.

Hint: if your dog won't eat any food that you give it try warming it slightly in the microwave first as this will bring the aromas out.