Healthy Meals and Dieting Tips

Hello, I am looking for healthy recipes and family dieting tips. I feel like pretty much every dinner that is a staple in our house is fattening. I know most the snacks we eat are. i need a "whole family" approach to eating better. Anyone else tried to tackle this kind of shift in eating habits? Thank you, Jerri

Answers:

Healthy Meals and Dieting Tips

Jerri, I am a firm believer in teaching my family good eating habits and my trick is to plan my meals for the week. Then from that I make my shopping list. I make sure we have a protein, a complex carb, a vegetable, a salad and a glass of milk for each person. So, for example, one pork chop(baked not fried), 1/2 cup brown rice pilaf, 1 cup steamed broccoli and a green salad with low fat dressing.

The only thing about eating healthy is that is does take time because you MUST be organized. But it will be worth it in the end! As for snacks, just don't buy the potato chips and chocolate bars, make popcorn, eat pretzels or peanuts, and of course all of that needs to be in moderation as well! And if you want to splurge on the 'junk' then do it only 1 day a week! We make it on a family movie night!

If fast food is a problem with you guys, there are places now that offer really good low fat alternatives like the salads or the wraps instead of the burgers and fries. You just have to make the right choices. It is hard at first but it will get easier, I promise! If I could do it so can you! (06/23/2004)

By Busyday86

Healthy Meals and Dieting Tips

Look for "Cooking Light" magazine at your grocer or book store. They have some good sounding healthy recipes. Or you can go to any search engine, such as Google.com and type in "healthy recipes" and get most likely more than you'll ever be able to use in your lifetime. It's best to use the ones that have the nutritional values after each recipe. That way it gives you an idea of how much of everything you're consuming. The size of your food portions, whether it be snacks or what, really counts. I visited a dietitian, which helped tremendously. Your Dr. can recommend one for you if you ask.

Most restaurants if you were to order a steak, would serve one as big as your plate or so, basically all a person is to have for each meal is (protein wise) is the size of a deck of cards. So when going out to eat, it's better to ask for a 'doggie bag' and take part of your meal off your plate as soon as you receive it to take home and then eat the rest of your meal. Or before you know it, you'll consume the whole meal, while conversing with your dining guests. Hope this helps. Best of luck!
(06/25/2004)

By badwater

A woman trying to choose between an apple or a cupcake.
Dieting Tips and Tricks
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks
🎉
🎄