Help With Growing Watermelons

I have two questions about growing watermelon. We have a small watermelon growing in our garden. What do I do to protect it? I remember reading something about a milk jug, but don't remember the specifics. Also, how do I know when its ready to be picked?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Thank you!
Amy from Austin, TX

Help With Growing Watermelons

I don't know anything about the milk jug, but I know when they're ripe: the stem attached to the watermelon will be brown and shriveled up, the bottom will be yellow, and the melon will make a hollow sound when you thump it. My sister lives in Houston and has told me about all the rain going on there. The same in Austin? If so, you will need to elevate the melon on bricks or something. They will rot if they sit in water or ground that's too wet. (08/22/2007)

By perfume and powder

growing watermelon
Growing Watermelons
Half of a honeydew melon and slices.
Growing Honeydew Melons
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits