Helping My Cat Lose Weight

I adopted an adult male American Shorthair tabby. He's 6 1/2 years old and he's 17 1/2 pounds. The vet told me he would like my cat to lose 3 pounds. How can I safely help him lose weight and not compromise his health?

Karen from Big Rapids, MI

Answers:

Helping My Cat Lose Weight

A high quality weight management cat food. I am not talking Purina One (anything at the grocery/Target/Wallyworld stores) won't cut it. Something like Science Diet, I use Natural Balance from Dick Van Pattens (yes, the tv guy) line, not the weight one but indoor. It's made with real meat, including duck, not a lot of filler. Most cat foods are made with wheat fillers and such, last I heard tigers don't stop at the local bakery for some wheat bread. Also try to stay away from foods that list 'meal', as in chicken meal or by products, that really just means, anything left over from the chicken, we ground it up and feed it to your cats!

The cost is more, but I buy an 8 pound bag for 2 cats for 12.99 (plus perks at Petco like free canned food) and it lasts a much longer time. I've bought 3 bags since the beginning of November, and would have bought a lot more of the "regular" cat foods with a lot more money by now. They eat a lot less because their needs are being met. My "fat" cat has lost a pound or two, better for her.

Do some research online for the high quality brands or a cat owner board for best high quality foods. Hope that helps! (01/13/2007)

By michawnpita

Helping My Cat Lose Weight

Per our vet, feed him morning and night only and only put one regular handful in his dish each time. It works. A fat cat is not a healthy cat! (01/18/2007)

By eyelovecats

Helping My Cat Lose Weight

Besides the food change, take about 15 minutes a day and get kitty to play! An old fishing pole or just a rod of some kind with string and a catnip toy, feathers, etc. that he can chase will work wonders. Many of our furry kids gain weight for the same reason our kids and adults do, more intake than work off.
Good luck. (01/20/2007)

By SalTCBug