Helping a Puppy Going Through Separation Anxiety

I have a new 11 week blue brindle pit bull named Kai. I understand that puppies go through separation anxiety, but for the next 2 weeks I will be working and going to school. At night he cries but I will say he is getting better. What can I do to ease this transition for him and my family (and neighbors), and also for the next two weeks when he is home alone?

He does have a crate that I am getting him used to. In the 2 days that I have had him he understands to sit and he knows when I put on my sweater and my certain pair of shoes it's feeding time. I will say that Kai and I are off to a good start. But for the crying, what can I do?

Keish from Jacksonville, NC

Answers:

I've read somewhere that a wind-up clock simulates the heart break of the puppy's mother. So give it a try and see if it works. (02/04/2008)

By MCW

I have an almost-four month old pup, and he also did the same thing the first couple of weeks in his crate. Just rest assured, they will stop in at least the next month. I know with my guy he only cries when we are in the house, and he REALLY doesn't want to be in his crate. :) (02/04/2008)

By schubunny

Think about a child. What would you do if that were a child? The puppy is crying for a reason. He's lonely. You might want to let him in the bedroom where there are people. Dogs are pack animals. The owners are the alpha and we stay together. Momma or sibling dogs don't separate from one another. Once he gets used to being away from the original pack, he will settle into your pack. (02/04/2008)

When my Great Dane puppy first came home I put one of my old t-shirts that I had worn all day into the crate with her. If you keep going down to check on her every time she cries or whines you are being trained by your dog, not the other way around. Check out some local dog trainers for advice and please enroll your pup in obedience training. Important for every dog AND owner no matter the breed. Also, if you want the crate in the dining room, then that's where it should stay! Do not move it from room to room. Good luck! (02/05/2008)

By Rum Bailey

8 hrs. is really too long for an 11-wk. old puppy to go without being let out to relieve himself. I hope you're having someone come at midday to let him out. (02/06/2008)

By DJ

The wind-up clock worked with my puppy. (02/07/2008)

By Joyce wis

I am not leaving my puppy alone for 8 hrs straight. I go and check on him 4 times out of the day. I understand that he is young, but actually everything is working out okay. I did place a shirt in the kennel, I leave the radio on, and he has a chew bone and cuddle toy. How the time works out, he is only alone for 2-3 hours before I can go check on him. He is doing awesome. Training is going well. He is sitting when I say, and I am now working on the stay part. Thank you everyone for your feedback! (02/07/2008)

By keish

The wind-up clock is a miracle, or really any clock that ticks loud that you can place close by will work. Also, playing music or a TV will help ease the loneliness. The smaller the bed area the better so that they feel cozy like they did when cuddling with mom and siblings. Toys to play with and chew on, frequent visits, and lots of love will help. Good luck! (02/11/2008)

By suzi_homemaker01

Remedies for Pet Anxiety
Remedies for Pet Anxiety
Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
A girl holding a new puppy.
Helping a Puppy Adjust to a New Home
Calming Your Pets
Calming Your Pets
🎉
🎄